ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: is it possibe to upload more than one file at a time from artrage to bridge/photosho

is it possibe to upload more than one file at a time from artrage to bridge/photosho

nearly all of my files are relatively small as they are sketches. I don't want the trouble of loading them one at a time. is it possible either to group them or upload all of them at one go. Am an inexperienced computer person and new to artrage and photoshop so all ideas welcome. thanks Bob . Should say Artrage 4.5 on surface pro 3 Windows 8.1 pro. Using USB Flash Drive Thanks
    Last edited by RobertMcBurney; 04-04-2015 at 12:46 AM.

Hello Robert and welcome to the ArtRage forums.
    I must confess I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do there…
    But some things to bear in mind with AR files.
    An ArtRage .ptg file can only be read/edited by ArtRage, so if you are wanting to open your AR files in Photoshop to work on them there, still with all their layers in place, then you will need to export copies of them from AR as .psd files for Photoshop to work with.
    Also AR keeps track of paint wetness, thickness etc… which Photoshop will not be able to work with so this information will be lost in Photoshop.
    If you are planning on moving the same painting to and fro you may want to turn off AR's canvas lighting before each new export as the effect can start to build up. However if you turn the light off then things like oil brush marks won't show up and the painting may look "flat"…!
    When bringing a .psd file back into AR any areas of paint will be given a default wetness and depth which may not be exactly as it was when first created in AR.
    I would strongly suggest you make some experimental paintings in AR and get a feel for how each app handles them when passing them back and forth.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Responce to Markw.

Thank you so much for your kind advice.To explain a bit more;Im copying images into Bridge because its easier to organise them there; bigger screen, plug in to Canon 6400 printer- plus the fact that i organise photographs and photos of traditional paintings there. I understand the implications of file content when exporting, though I didnt know about background/canvas light, thanks for that.The images I want to move are nearly all monochromatic drawings with no use of layers. I wouldnt expect to work on them in Bridge. At the moment I want to move , or rather upload copies of about 60 such images, leaving the originals as artrage ptng files on my Surface pro tablet. In an attempt to do this I went to Open Painting and tried to tag a selection of files to no avail; Im not very computer literate but I think I tried the normal keyboard conventions, though its always possible I missed a trick! Then I went toExport Image File and a panel came up with many options which Im ashamed to say I didnt understand. All I want is a little sentence saying Select all! Thanks again, even if there isnt a simple answer Im wiser than when I began

Unfortunately ArtRage will only open one .ptg file at a time (But you can have more that one instance of AR running. Though in this instance I'm not sure that would gain you much…)
    So you may just have to bite the bullet here and do it one painting at a time!
    Once a painting is open, in AR choose Export Image File… and choose a format. At this point I should say there is no right answer as to which format to use, it all depends on what you want to do with the exported file.
    The top 3 commonest standard image formats are probably; jpeg, png, tiff.
    Jpeg will be the smallest file size but is not a good choice if you want to do a lot of post editing & re-saving of it later. It will degrade with constant re-saves. But if you are just going to look at it, it could be a good choice.
    Tiff is loss-less (and I think uncompressed in AR?) and you can edit/re-save to your harts content with them but these files can be quite large.
    PNG like Tiff is loss-less when exporting from AR but is more compressed (smaller file size) than a Tiff but still bigger than a jpeg. So editing/re-saving them later should still be OK.
    One more note on jpeg's and AR; In AR if you go to Edit > Preferences. Under Advanced settings you can set the image quality for jpegs when they are exported from AR. If you set it too low you may get some pixelation creeping in to your exported images. I just leave mine set to 100%. But again there is no right answer. It depends…
    Once you have you images out of AR, in some standard format organizing them with Bridge how you wish shouldn't then be a problem.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Responce to Markw.

Thanks again. I have been using Photoshop PSD- simply because of its name- not because of any known quality! I will get my head around it all eventually. Thankyou again. Cheers Bob.

While you have to export each ArtRage painting singly, you can open multiple files inside Photoshop. If you open the folder, then select all the JPGs you want to open and drag them over to Photoshop, it should open all of them (just don't give it a heart attack, memory wise!).

(I don't have it handy right now to check, but Photoshop works by allowing multiple files open inside it, where ArtRage works by allowing you to open ArtRage multiple times, as each painting may have completely different resources - e.g. References).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!