Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Oil Brush Presets

Thanks so much Delo.. Will look forward to trying them out!

I have put up a script on my DeviantArt account for download if you would like to see my using the Block In Brush to sketch my cat from a reference photo I have of her. It shows how I basically use this as a sketching tool, I will be making a follow up blocking in more and more areas with it before moving on to the 2nd pass and working with the next brush, I will try to make scripts for each of these picking up where I leave off with the previous one so everyone can see the process, and just how much actually erase and such too. Most of the entire painting will end up taking place on one layer and I doubt I will actually finish it to a 5th Pass as it's just to show how I use these brush presets. When i am done making the scripts, I hope to make them into a video using screen capture software and then recording some audio to play over it while it plays so people can hear about what I was thinking while I was doing it all.

I wish there was a way I could edit the script in ArtRage to add annotations after recording, that way I don't have to think about that while I'm actually painting, could go back and do it afterward, but that's okay, doing it in audio after the math is just as good for me.

Block In

- Delo

Here is the second installment still with just the block in brush, this completes the entire process I'd use the Block In brush for and maybe a bit beyond. This allows me a very solid base with which to build up color variety and texture as I move forward from here though and will be using this base to correct form perspective and proportions.

I definitely spend longer and do more in the block in stage of my paintings than most others. The script for the painting can be found here:

Block In 2

There is a glitch in the script and it misses some stuff but I'll have included the painting in the script to pick up where it left off on the first one and will be doing the same in the next script so you will pick up the missing pieces there if you'd like to see me move into the next brush preset and how I use it.

- Delo

Quote Originally Posted by Delofasht View Post
    I wish there was a way I could edit the script in ArtRage to add annotations after recording, that way I don't have to think about that while I'm actually painting, could go back and do it afterward, but that's okay, doing it in audio after the math is just as good for me.

If you're up for a bit more experimentation, it's possible to manually edit the script files.
    http://www.artrage.com/files/artrage...ptingguide.pdf

Thank you Hannah, for the link. It will take quite some time for me to absorb the language as it's been more than a decade since I dabbled in programming, but I think I should manage to figure out how to link the scripts to create a continuous painting from start to finish at some point and exclude or include the base painting at intervals to fill in some of the areas that might be missed in the script (with enough time I might be able to fix the scripting errors due to my pauses, but I'm certain that won't be for a year or more, as scripting would be more of a hobby for me).

Next up I explore the Build Up Brush Preset, here you can find my entire 2nd Pass, I'm never concerned with 100% accuracy or coverage in any given stage as it's merely meant for me to build on top of. I put in a bit of the background here, the reason for now instead of earlier is that I didn't need the information earlier as I wasn't exploring the color relationships yet merely placing where about things would be located, I also haven't gone about my normal method of increasing the resolution of my paintings for these tutorials on how I use my brushes yet as it's not until after this stage that I will really want to have good control over my brushes, both for texturing and for cleaning up. The reason I use these low resolution bases for my paintings is that they allow my computer to run very smoothly with larger brush sizes which I don't use TOO often, but when I do I want to be able to do it easily.

The idea behind each of these brush presets so far and even in the next step is to remain fairly loose, you can see in this one how I starting really picking on details, which honestly was me just noodling around, it is very unlikely to be used in the final work, or even remain visible at all in the next step (the messy step). This step is about furthering the color variety, pushing the form a bit further and creating depth in the piece overall, I also use a bit of palette knife to push things around in this step to create some interesting color in a few places, but mostly this is all just brush work. I do a lot of palette mixing off to the side as I'm moving around from place to place.

In the next step, I will be destroying some of the work I did in this step. There is a reason for it though, I want to get some interesting texture going on and even more color and variety, and further refine the light a bit more and create interesting thick brush strokes here or there, on the Broken Color brush step I do more on the fly brush adjustments than nearly any other step, I will be adjusting the stiffness of the bristles and pressure quite a bit as I progress through that step and should have that out sometime tomorrow for everyone to view.

Hope this was helpful and good luck and enjoy!

Build Up

You can download the script from my DeviantArt website to see it in use yourself.

- Delo

If you're noticing errors in the scripts, can you send them to us at [email protected] with as many details as possible? We try and fix these sort of things on an ongoing basis.

Only issue I had with any of the scripts was where I paused it and forgot to turn it back on before I continued, I picked a color and made a couple strokes, backed up unpaused pressed play and continued but forgot to change the color back and it recorded different color than what I was supposed to be using. Not really an issue with the script so much as my recording failure, the other script issue I had fixed itself by rerecording it and I saved over the file. If I do have any further issues though will definitely email it to you all. Thanks for all your help, the scripting information looks to be very promising too, I'm a dozen or so pages in and I might need to look up some application examples at some point, but I'm seeing the basic structure and starting to get some idea of how the code language is assembled.

Thanks again for all your help Hannah.

- Delo

Delo, I had some issue with the scripts. The first was fine and I could easily see and follow what you were doing. However, scripts 2 and 3 had the canvas obscured by the reference photo and scrap. When I stopped the script I could move the ref and scraps to my 2nd monitor but alas, I couldn't start the script again in that format - I had to go back and restart from the beginning and unfortunately the canvas was obscured again.

Could it be something to do with you using two monitors? Here is what I see.

Name:  script.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  33.2 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Oh noes! Yeah it probably does have something to do with my 2 monitors. . . and I have no idea how to fix that. Can you try putting your Artrage in Workbench mode before starting the script? Maybe it'll place the references differently, I didn't even consider that my reference would be shown, which of course would make sense since it's part of the painting. Oh my, well it's time for me to start doing some research then too.

It might have something to do with me having saved the painting into the script too which I did to connect one and clean up any missing details or errors that might have occurred due to me pausing and unpausing the scrips (sometimes I forget to start it again and miss some strokes). I would love to actually have a bit more navigation while a script is running, some sort of visual script editor program would make utilizing these much much easier. Like in my latest one there is some issues with a palette knife not functioning properly but I don't think I actually had any trouble with the palette knife in some areas, but I may have paused and forgotten to start again near there too. It's tricky to remember and that's why I'm going to have to actually check my scripting code at some point, maybe I can find a way to turn off all windows except the painting itself. . . or turn on the settings window so you can see the paint settings happening and know when to pause. mmmm.... this is going to be a time consuming hobby for sure.
    Last edited by Delofasht; 04-13-2015 at 06:07 PM.