Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Oil Brush Presets

Wink My Oil Brush Presets

I just jumped on the ArtRage scene recently as I have absolutely fallen in love with this program, never encountered such an excellent traditional media emulator in all my years, I've been dreaming of this kind of program since I was 10 and playing around in the early stages of Adobe Photoshop with a mouse on a computer. I couldn't imagine it ever getting as close as this program has come. All that being said I spent the past 2 days customizing my Oil Brush Presets, trying to optimize them for the kind of workflow I like to use.

They are numbered based on my general approach to painting, and generally move from thinner paints to thicker as I move into later stages of painting. Two of them are marked as 4, that's because that's the phase in which I alternate between them. I am constantly adjusting their size on the fly by holding Shift and dragging my stylus to adjust their size so I don't pay much thought to saving them with size in mind on my presets. The last brush gives me an effect very similar in feel to painting Alla Prima with a no thinners brush with a large Filbert, adjusting it's size you can get down to details with it and then swapping to the 4 Hard you can really get in and detail a painting out and do full paintings with just it and the 4 and a Palette knife or two. I don't have any Palette Knife settings to share as I've not got that to feel like how I use my traditional palette knife as of yet, but I'm working on it slowly, much more slowly as I don't do too much with a knife outside of mixing my colors on a palette.

Customizing ArtRage is such a pleasure and joy to do, it's simple powerful tools react very predictably if you understand the settings available and provide a very authentic painting experience. I hope you like these brush settings, included in the name of each brush is a minor note to myself as to it's base settings to allow for quick changes if you know what you need to adjust.

Edit: for some reason my link failed, but I'll figure out some way to get them up here for everyone

1 Block in (Soft, Thin).prs
    2 Build Up (Firm, Tacky).prs
    3 Broken Color (Stiff, Thick).prs
    4 Hard (Stiff, Round, Thick).prs
    4 Texturer (Stiff, Dry, Tacky).prs

- Delo
    Last edited by Delofasht; 04-03-2015 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Link failed to embed

Alla Prima

And Alla Prima!

Alla Prima.prs

There, if that all works out everyone should have some well defined individual brush presets that react consistently and predictably, I strongly suggest tweaking these presets to your tastes as they are heavily tweaked to my tastes and for my particular tools and style of painting. Enjoy, if you have any questions about these please feel free to ask, I put a lot of thought into the settings for these brushes and how I flow in painting, many of them have multiple uses and can do a wide range of things as needed with some creative usage. Good luck, have fun!

Delofasht...These brushes are REALLY NICE! Thank you for sharing them with the group. I wish I had your understanding of brush creation and the preset adjustments. It would really make using ArtRage more enjoyable and more comfortable. But it confusing to me...once again, thanks for sharing these.

You are most welcome, I've had some extensive experience with some other software and learning all the ins and outs of various settings in them. The wording is a bit different in each and it took me a few hours to correlate the information against what I was seeing happening when trying various settings. I hope they serve you well!

Thanks so much for sharing these brushes - I have downloaded them and look forward to trying them out. I will be looking out for the palette presets too - no pressure!
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Thank you for the brushes

@justjean, You are most welcome, I hope they are easy to understand and use for you.

Hey Delofasht,
    Thank you for sharing your oil brush presets.

Had fun trying them out.
    Not exactly a landscape, though.
    Hin

Hin's Paintings: http://hinketea.imagekind.com

Hinket, glad to hear you like them, they are probably the most basic brush presets I could make while focusing on very specific effects that are all different enough from each other to provide me a quick range of different effects that apply to my process. If you would like to know more about my process of using these brush presets I will be making a video on Youtube on it in a couple months, I'm developing a script for it after I finish my current landscape painting in which I will have a demonstration painting scripted during each 'pass' of my process and will put some commentary regarding the what and why. (probably something simple like a pear. . . because you can never go wrong with a pear shape)

I dream of the day when I can use a mixing palette and a jar of thinner digitally in which I control how thin or thick my paint is by dipping in with different depths and mixing paints and such by hand while having options of which brush to use and why. Then I wouldn't need brush presets so much just know what I need to achieve and load up my brush manually with the right amount of paint, thinner, and control the edge of a bristle brush that I'm using (sometimes I paint with only one tip of a flat brush pushing in to make triangular shapes). Some of these things just aren't controllable currently and haven't been programmed yet, it might be on their list of things to improve but they have a very large collection of tools that people would like to see so I'm sure they might get around to it eventually.

- Delo

Thank you Delo