Thread: First digital painting, tried to emulate my physical painting style - feedback?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First digital painting, tried to emulate my physical painting style - feedback?

So I'm primarily a physical painter - I do a lot of thick impasto landscapes, some painting entirely with painting knives, some with brush+knife. I've tried to pick up digital painting in the past, but could never get past the strangeness/unfamiliarity of photoshop's layers & strange tools. Then I discovered ArtRage, and found the tools and workflow very familiar as a "wet" painter. I did this piece as kind of an experiment, really just "feeling out" the tools and how the paint flows/mixes/lays down with the oil brush, paint tube, and pallette knife. I painted it much as I would a physical painting - single layer, wet into wet, using the "dirty brush" setting do lay down paint and draw colors together, "rinsing" manually.

anyway - where should I go from here? critiques? tips to get my brushwork/blending more distinct? I haven't even started exploring layers yet - good tips for incorporating them into this style of painting? would love any feedback/tips/tricks/techniques from more experienced digital painters!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test landscape 1.jpeg 
Views:	2321 
Size:	407.4 KB 
ID:	85915

Gorgeous! I think you did an exceptional job, especially since this is your first digital work! The texture that can be achieved in this program is a lot of fun, and you obviously have a good grasp of how to use it already! Would love to see some of your traditional work too. How are you liking the feel of the digital paints so far?

~Scribbles
    Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.

~ Henry Ward Beecher

I love your style and the way you have used artrage. If this is your first attempt I can't wait to see your future works with artrage!

Thanks! you can see some of my physical landscapes here: edzfineart.com/landscapes. I'm really liking artrage so far, it's the first digital drawing/painting program that I "get" - the tools make sense, and behave more or less the way I would expect them too. I love the fact that brushstrokes actually have texture and "mass". I mostly just use the oil brush and pallette knife so far, but as I get more comfortable I'm going to start exploring the other tools.

Quote Originally Posted by edzstudios View Post
    Thanks! you can see some of my physical landscapes here: edzfineart.com/landscapes. I'm really liking artrage so far, it's the first digital drawing/painting program that I "get" - the tools make sense, and behave more or less the way I would expect them too. I love the fact that brushstrokes actually have texture and "mass". I mostly just use the oil brush and pallette knife so far, but as I get more comfortable I'm going to start exploring the other tools.
    Brilliant, you said you need suggestions? Just go on, explore and you will find something new everyday in ArtRage.

Looks good to me!

I think you are doing great. Your art rage piece is not as loose as your oil painting, but that will come as you relax and experiment more.
    As far as layers, I often use layers for a variety of reasons:
    • If colors start mixing funny, I don't want them to mix in a certain area, or maybe I want to be able to paint behind something. When painting still life, you can paint the still life first and the background later.
    • If I'm not sure of something, and I think I might want to get rid of it later, you can always undo, but it's quicker to just delete a layer
    • I often put things on different layers if I think I might move them around or change the size. I do a lot of florals, and it's kinda like floral arranging, I can move a flower over, or make it a little larger so it looks like it's closer. I can rearrange layers so that a flower that was in the background, suddenly is in front of something else.

Have fun and let us know of your progress.