So I'm primarily a physical painter - I do a lot of thick impasto landscapes, some painting entirely with painting knives, some with brush+knife. I've tried to pick up digital painting in the past, but could never get past the strangeness/unfamiliarity of photoshop's layers & strange tools. Then I discovered ArtRage, and found the tools and workflow very familiar as a "wet" painter. I did this piece as kind of an experiment, really just "feeling out" the tools and how the paint flows/mixes/lays down with the oil brush, paint tube, and pallette knife. I painted it much as I would a physical painting - single layer, wet into wet, using the "dirty brush" setting do lay down paint and draw colors together, "rinsing" manually.

anyway - where should I go from here? critiques? tips to get my brushwork/blending more distinct? I haven't even started exploring layers yet - good tips for incorporating them into this style of painting? would love any feedback/tips/tricks/techniques from more experienced digital painters!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test landscape 1.jpeg 
Views:	2321 
Size:	407.4 KB 
ID:	85915