ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: This isn't going well

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    24

    This isn't going well

    Might somebody help me, you know, just make a picture?

    At the moment I have an empty screen and two windows. On says layer and it is empty. On says trace and I have a dimmed out photo in there. I have no idea what to do next. None at all. I really don't know how to even make a painting.

    Objective, use tracing and paint off of or over it.

    Alternative: Just kill me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    22,517
    Hahaha. Suicide by software? I don't think so. . .

    Use that emotion! Have you looked at YouTube? There are lots of tutorials there where the people doing them are out to show you how to paint, rather than the speed ones that seem to be more about watching people break dance with all their hip-hopping about.

    Here's one. Don't try to learn everything at once. Chunk it down. And paint along with what they're showing you. Looks good to me!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_PHVbxBdQ

    Please let us know if you survive. Film at 11.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Huntsville, On., Canada
    Posts
    5,356
    Here is a link to some tips, perhaps you can find something there

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Posts
    443
    And of course there is the online user guide: http://www.artrage.com/manuals/how-t...-with-artrage/

    And of course my course will be coming out at the end of the month at DigitalTutors.com

    You'll get the hang of it. Its a great program.

    ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    937
    Hi again Ana
    I see while I was sleeping others here have rallied to your cause!
    So yes there are lots of tutorials on painting with AR;
    here on the forums:
    http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...-Tutorial-List
    http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...Tutorial-Index
    And on Ambient Design's website (which I note of late is getting more and more interesting content!):
    http://www.artrage.com/tutorials
    And of course you can always ask questions here on the forums. Enjoy the ride!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

    Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    2,874
    It's also becoming important to list which version of ArtRage you're using, because we now have versions specific to Android, iPad, iPhone, Touch, and the PC/Mac versions. Each have panels catered specifically to the device it's on. While some methods may work across all platforms, how those methods are followed through may be very different.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    1,855
    Assuming the above links aren't quite what you're after right now, I'm going to take your question very literally.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ana_Loggana View Post
    Might somebody help me, you know, just make a picture?

    At the moment I have an empty screen and two windows. On says layer and it is empty. On says trace and I have a dimmed out photo in there. I have no idea what to do next. None at all. I really don't know how to even make a painting.

    Objective, use tracing and paint off of or over it.
    You have successfully added a tracing image. Well done! If you go back to the Tracing menu, you can change how visible it is (opacity), hide it, or remove it completely.

    The tracing image is NOT part of your painting. It's just a magic floating picture (or your paper is floating over it... either way works).


    Now,

    1. Pick a tool. Any tool - if you want to draw lines, try the pencil or ink pen. If you want to fill in areas of colours, try the oil brush. But you're still figuring it out, so try a few and see what happens.

    2. Try drawing. The tracing image doesn't 'count' as part of your painting, so your actual drawing will appear on that empty layer. You can add multiple layers and the tracing image will just sit on top of everything as an overlay to guide you.

    3. Having trouble seeing some details? Add the tracing image as a reference as well!

    4. Colours. The tracing image includes a feature to 'automatically pick colours from tracing image'. This can be really useful, or really annoying, depending on what you're trying to do. You can turn it on in the tracing image menu. You can turn it off in the menu, or by tapping on the colour picker (if it's active, all the colours will be blank and it will just be a big white space).

    The colour picking applies to the stroke from where you FIRST touch the paper. So a long stroke will be the same colour all the way, but small strokes, or glitter, will show the range of colour changes.
    You can see that in action in this tutorial: http://artrageteam.deviantart.com/ar...king-447673465

    5. Want to see what you've actually drawn? Or finished sketching the outline and want to work on your own? Go back and hide or remove the tracing image. You can always bring it back later.


    Now, some specifically Tracing related tutorials:

    http://www.artrage.com/manuals/tracing-and-references/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV6vCBLv1BI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwUUsxq91s8




    And to add to the overwhelming list of suggestions...

    This is a very good video series for absolute beginners. It's on the iPad, but all the iPad tools exist in the desktop versions, and the Android app (the differences are generally options you won't be worrying about right now, like Scripts).
    http://www.artrage.com/artrage-ipad-video-tutorials/

    Once you've finished, there's also a desktop series of tutorials as well from the same person, which are slightly more advanced.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ana_Loggana View Post
    Alternative: Just kill me.
    Sorry, we have a policy against killing customers. It's really bad for future sales.

    Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    It's also becoming important to list which version of ArtRage you're using, because we now have versions specific to Android, iPad, iPhone, Touch, and the PC/Mac versions. Each have panels catered specifically to the device it's on. While some methods may work across all platforms, how those methods are followed through may be very different.
    Yup, definitely. We've tried to keep the interface and tools similar for all editions, but sometimes a menu will look different, or an option simply won't exist.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

    This is not my signature.

    Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    It's also becoming important to list which version of ArtRage you're using, because we now have versions specific to Android, iPad, iPhone, Touch, and the PC/Mac versions. Each have panels catered specifically to the device it's on. While some methods may work across all platforms, how those methods are followed through may be very different.
    3.5 on a laptop with the small Wacom Intous Pen & Touch (when I remember to use it!)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Hahaha. Suicide by software? I don't think so. . .

    Use that emotion! Have you looked at YouTube? There are lots of tutorials there where the people doing them are out to show you how to paint, rather than the speed ones that seem to be more about watching people break dance with all their hip-hopping about.

    Here's one. Don't try to learn everything at once. Chunk it down. And paint along with what they're showing you. Looks good to me!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_PHVbxBdQ

    Please let us know if you survive. Film at 11.
    Thanks. Yeah I've come a ways since that post. I was like a kid who just wanted to play already. Now a new question! How can I use my own colors? There's stuff that I can't make from that arc, like ochres, siennas, cerulean...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by justjean View Post
    Here is a link to some tips, perhaps you can find something there
    I wish I could track down all these people back to 2009 and throw them a party. Some I can't even thank because I just won't do Facebook.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •