ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ArtRage on an All-in-One.

ArtRage on an All-in-One.

I have an AIO and I have painted with a stylus and AR but never thought of painting with a regular artist's brush so I dug out one of mine from my 'real media' days and it works! It feels as tho you have a real brush in your hand 'cos of course you do. I wonder if this would work on a hand held device?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM24mA5ILKg
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

This has me intrigued. I do not have a touch screen on the desktop where I do most of my Art Rage. I am assuming that the touch screen will respond to the brush just as it would your finger. I have a small tablet (10") which has Windows 8.1 as the OS and a touch screen. I have Art Rage loaded on a micro sd card. I will see if the touch screen will react to a brush. I know it reacts to a stylus with the small rubber tip, but this could be interesting if it works with a brush. If not, I would love to know what sort of touch screen does react to a brush.

If that video doesn't get more people looking into Art Rage, I don't know what will.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Hi Bobbi
    Sorry I couldn't resist my inner geek! So in short as I understand it…

There are several different types of touch screens;
    Capacitive
    Optical Imaging
    Resistive
    Ultrasound or SAW (Surface Acoustic Wave)
    Inferred

The type of screen in that video is an Optical Imaging Touch Screen which is why it can work with any object like a real paintbrush.
    An OITS will typically use two or more inferred lights shining across the screen coupled with some form of imaging sensor. Just before an object touches the screen it will cast a shadow (caused by the inferred lights) which is detected by the imaging sensor and the screen X, Y coordinates calculated to give the point of contact of the brush.
    Because of the power requirements for the lights of this type of touch screen I doubt that any current portable divides use it.
    (Note; OITS should not be confused with Inferred Touch Screens which also employ this type of light but work very differently.)

Devises like iPads/Phones use Capacitive Touch Screens which is probably the most common type used in portable devices.
    Capacitive screens require a stylus that can conduct electricity much like a finger. Hence the rubber tip on the stylus, which is actually a type of electro conductive rubber.
    The screen has a constant charge running across it and when a stylus or finger comes in contact with the screen there will be a small drop in charge and the X, Y coordinates for that drop can be calculated to give the pen/finger position.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

My AIO is a touchscreen computer - I have an el cheapo android device, it doesn't treat the paintbrush as a stylus - I thought that maybe the iPad, Samsung, etc. might. Seems not.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hi Bobbi
    Sorry I couldn't resist my inner geek! So in short as I understand it…

There are several different types of touch screens;
    Capacitive
    Optical Imaging
    Resistive
    Ultrasound or SAW (Surface Acoustic Wave)
    Inferred

The type of screen in that video is an Optical Imaging Touch Screen which is why it can work with any object like a real paintbrush.
    An OITS will typically use two or more inferred lights shining across the screen coupled with some form of imaging sensor. Just before an object touches the screen it will cast a shadow (caused by the inferred lights) which is detected by the imaging sensor and the screen X, Y coordinates calculated to give the point of contact of the brush.
    Because of the power requirements for the lights of this type of touch screen I doubt that any current portable divides use it.
    (Note; OITS should not be confused with Inferred Touch Screens which also employ this type of light but work very differently.)

Devises like iPads/Phones use Capacitive Touch Screens which is probably the most common type used in portable devices.
    Capacitive screens require a stylus that can conduct electricity much like a finger. Hence the rubber tip on the stylus, which is actually a type of electro conductive rubber.
    The screen has a constant charge running across it and when a stylus or finger comes in contact with the screen there will be a small drop in charge and the X, Y coordinates for that drop can be calculated to give the pen/finger position.
    Thanks for the information. I do appreciate your explanation. I didn't know that there were different types of touch screens. I have to say it is fascinating to see what would be possible with the OITS screen. Technology just keeps adding new and innovative devices. I would love to be fifty years younger to get involved with all of this. Thank you again Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    My AIO is a touchscreen computer - I have an el cheapo android device, it doesn't treat the paintbrush as a stylus - I thought that maybe the iPad, Samsung, etc. might. Seems not.
    June,
    We will just have to be content with what we have to work with. In any event, it surely beats fingerpainting.

I'm pleased to find that I can use a paintbrush on my screen obviously it is an OTIS.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    I wonder if this would work on a hand held device?
    nVidia DirectStylus enabled devices such as the Tegra Note 7 that I have, and it's bigger brother the Shield allow the use of real brushes and pencils on the screen for input. It works in the Android version of Artrage, and I've also tested it in Artflow and Infinite Painter. It isn't perfect, and I'd probably stick with the regular stylus, but it does work.

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    For the iPad (Capacitive touch screen I gather) I use a Compose brush by Nomad. It is my favorite tool.

Name:  1348791924NomadBrushCompose-DualLongTipreviewmacworldaustralia2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  35.6 KB

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

I also use a brush type stylus - Leonardo - but I was interested that a real paintbrush could be used on a touchscreen computer monitor. That was why I wondered if real paintbrushes could be used on other screens - and the answer seems to be generally 'no'. Tho banjaxedmdt has a device that can use a paintbrush.

Personally speaking, I think using a brush that is longer than a stylus could be useful to me in watercolour painting or where I want a looser style - I feel I could probably be freer in my hand movements. That's just me.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.