ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Imported image appears on canvas in wrong orientation

Imported image appears on canvas in wrong orientation

LOVE the app! I'm having some difficulties though, in either importing or taking a photo within the app for tracing on my tablet. Every time I try either, the image is placed on the canvas in landscape mode - while the tablet is oriented in portrait and so is the image. There's no option to rotate the image. I asked on the Facebook page and was suggested to couple the tablet to my computer and look in the DCIM folder to verify the photo's saved orientation - which I did- but there's nothing in the folder. It is however, in the gallery folder, and in the correct orientation.
    I also see no tracing options, so I'm not sure where to find those also.
    I tried the exact same procedure on my Samsung Galaxy phone, and everything worked out fine as far as the import and orientation went. My tablet is an RCA Pro 10. Can you shed some light on this for me?Thanks!

Hi Libby - that was me on Facebook, but I'm afraid I don't have a lot more advice. Some devices are just annoying that way (in that all the photos are secretly stored a different way around).

Hmmm, actually, there are two things you could try:

1. Rotate one of the images (go to your Gallery folder on the device before going to ArtRage) so that it's the 'wrong' way round. See if that affects the way it imports into ArtRage.

2. Turn the device before importing into ArtRage. See if that 'tricks' it into changing the orientation to match.

(We are looking into making layer transform work, which should help with this sort of problem - but we aren't sure whether it's possible yet for various technical reasons).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Hi Hannarage!
    I found a solution! If I go to the artrage gallery first and import or take a photo, the image is correctly oriented for some reason. From there, If I go back and open a new painting, I can select the image from the artrage gallery and everything is fine. It may be going around my elbow to get to my ... well you know, but at least it works reliably and consistently. Thanks for your response! Cheers,
    Libby

Oh, good! That isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Note 4 and Tracing Image orientation

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Oh, good! That isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing.
    For me on the Galaxy Note 4 none of the solutions above have worked. Also I do not have an option to import an image direct from Artrage Gallery, only Android gallery, Photos etc.

Just letting you know in the hope that a fix can be found.

Peter

Silly me !!

Quote Originally Posted by peterchambers View Post
    For me on the Galaxy Note 4 none of the solutions above have worked. Also I do not have an option to import an image direct from Artrage Gallery, only Android gallery, Photos etc.

Just letting you know in the hope that a fix can be found.

Peter
    Tracing image orientation is determined at top of New Painting menu, 853 480 or 480 853