ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Sunset over water

Sunset over water

This is painted as a miniature - 450x600px. Oil, airbrush and blender. Reference photo Surob WC.

Name:  Sunset.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  43.0 KB
    Last edited by Enug; 03-12-2015 at 01:39 AM.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Beautiful and calm painting, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Overall you got what you set out to re-create, no doubt. Idyllic colors and whatnot.

I would caution you about controlling the level of blur. In the water especially, as you've done it, the blur is not something that changes focus because of depth (ie close up is sharp and it gets blurry as it recedes). It's just all blurry, which looks to me like it was all just blurred in a filter or it was a low resolution picture that was enlarged. And then on the dock (especially in the reflections in the water) you have it super sharp next to ones that are blurry, so it doesn't feel like part of the same space at the same distance. So the dock looks like it was painted onto a blurry pic after the fact.

If the blurry character is something you want, then you may want to blur the dock to the same extent as what it's surrounded by. But I'm not sure that would satisfy you because then it would merely be a blurry pic. I'm not sure it's worth it owing to the blur not being very desirable as an end point.

Good experiment to see how important sharpness is and what needs to be controlled. You can make depth of field work for you also if you get it logically correct. But focus is definitely a photographic effect, and in a painting that is not photographic it can get dicey because of the paint strokes or drawn lines or what have you generally are a thing unto themselves as an end point where it's marks on a 2D page and so that kind of thing is from a different paradigm than photography. Unless you're after recreating the illusion of a photograph you may want to pick the instances you want to use it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Lovely blending of colors

An amazing sunset.

Thanks Coops and Marilyn Anne, and thanks also to Mr.Akey for pointing out my mistakes in overlooking the pitfalls of blurring. I know and understand what you are saying - just didn't think about it at the time. Something else to file away. I always appreciate your critiques - keep them coming.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Mr Akey, is this heading in the right direction.?

Name:  Sunset over water02.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  56.2 KB
    Last edited by Enug; 03-13-2015 at 02:24 AM.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

very nice and peaceful, Enug

Beautiful colours Enug. A very calming paintng.

Thanks so much Pat and Vandra.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Nice follow through, June. I like it. There are many other possibilities as you go, this is one good one in which you focus more on the art side of things. And it solves the issue. But blurring has its place as well. And so no need to banish it entirely. But yeah, if you're going with a look where one sees the paint and pencil and all that process stuff, this works. It gives the idea like a sketch in a way where it's less finished. And it did get rid of the blur inconsistency. So on that level it's a thumbs up. And I suspect like many other things where one is feeling their way into it, the full juice in it will come in the various contexts you employ focus as a part of the picture or not. Balance, a dash of this effect and a pinch of that. . . lots of possibilities.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream