ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Colorize layer for sticker spay

Colorize layer for sticker spay

Hi,

I am trying to create a sticker spray from an existing grey-scale png.

My understanding is that the image must be pure red.

I found a video on the net where the user:
    - imports the png,
    - sets the paint color to true red,
    - selects "edit/Adjust Layer Colors",
    - enables "Colorize With Paint Color",
    - slides the "Color" dial to 100%

You clearly see the color of the preview changing to red in the video.

However, if I do it, I usually only see brightness and contrast have any effect on the preview.

Any advice ? ... and is there another way to go through that process ? (ultimate goal being to create a brush).

Regards,

Philippe

Hi Philippe
    Not sure what may have gone wrong for you there…
    With the steps you describe, Colourise With Paint Colour works fine here with AR4.5.4 on my Mac.
    Sometimes with odd random glitches just giving the old standby of restarting the computer again a try can sort them.
    If AR still won't play ball do you have another graphics app that you could use to colourise the .png first?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Those steps appear accurate to me (I use the feature all the time, as well). If the option for "Colorize with Paint Color" is checked on, then moving the "Color" slider to the right should increase the amount of the selected color within the image. Could you upload (or provide a link to) the image you're trying use?

As a work around, try this:

1 - Import the image to a new layer.
    2 - Create a new blank layer above the imported image layer.
    3 - Fill the blank layer with pure red (using the Fill tool).
    4 - On the Layer panel, right click on the red filled layer, then select Blend Mode → Lighten.
    5 - Merge the red filled layer down into the imported gray scale image layer.

If your PNG image has empty space to it:

1 - Import the image to a new layer.
    2 - With the imported image layer selected on the Layer Panel, go to Edit → Select Layer Contents.
    3 - Create a new blank layer above the imported image layer.
    4 - Be sure the newly created layer is selected on the Layer Panel and fill the selected area with pure red (using the Fill tool).
    5 - On the Layer panel, right click on the layer with the red fill and then select Blend Mode → Lighten.
    6 - Merge the red filled layer down into the imported gray scale image layer.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer.

I just noticed that increasing the brightness did make the red appear: the black starts switching to red at around 60% with max around 80% then it goes to (what seems) to be white.

So that's a way out although I am not too clear as to whether a "perfect" red is required for best result.

I also tried using an air brush after locking transparency and got some results.

Yes I guess I have access to other packages to get there (need to do my homework) ... it's strange though.

Regards,

Philippe

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hi Philippe
    Not sure what may have gone wrong for you there…
    With the steps you describe, Colourise With Paint Colour works fine here with AR4.5.4 on my Mac.
    Sometimes with odd random glitches just giving the old standby of restarting the computer again a try can sort them.
    If AR still won't play ball do you have another graphics app that you could use to colourise the .png first?

Hi Rondo,

I believe I did (will check it again) - I recall he paints directly in red to get the sticker while I am trying to import existing pngs.

Regards,

Philippe

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post