Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Surface Pen Lag/Click recognition problem

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    Which wintab driver are you installing? I've used the nTrig driver without any problems. One other thing to note is that uninstalling ArtRage does not clear the preferences, resetting preferences via the prefs panel should revert the application to its original state. Because ArtRage doesn't do anything at a system level there's no reason that resetting prefs wouldn't reset all relevant tablet IO behaviour to exactly the same state it was when it was working so, while I don't like to sound like I'm trying to shift blame, it does sound like something in one of the other utilities you installed has left something resident after uninstall that is interfering with stylus input.
    Hi Matt! Thanks for the preferences tip!

I'm using the Wintab 1.0.0.17 64-bit driver. Could that be the culprit? Do you perhaps have a link to the one you are using?

And it doesn't sounds like you are shifting blame at all I think you are probably right! I just can't figure out what is causing it
    Last edited by herrkjeldsen; 08-03-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: edit: missed a "doesn't" :D

We were also using 1.0.17. I see a note when searching that there's a 1.0.18 driver for Win10 but I haven't been able to locate it on Microsoft's pages yet (there's a link here: http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/201...e-for-download).

A selective restart might be a good way to go from here. Drop an email directly to me at [email protected] and we can go through that to see if we can identify what's causing the problem.

I have just rolled back to the barebone windows 10 installation, and added artrage(works splendidly so far) and wintab 1.0.0.18. I'm going to avoid installing radial menu this time around, and see if it keeps working. And then attempt a reinstallation of radial menu some time down the road. If I see the error again, I will certainly take you up on the offer of mailing you Thanks again for your help so far!
    Last edited by herrkjeldsen; 08-04-2015 at 11:00 PM.

I installed the radial menu and took a look at it yesterday. I didn't get lag when using it, but I looked around their forums and I did see some things that make me think it might be intercepting gestures and key events, which could in theory interfere with RTS processing. I should add that this is entirely unsubstantiated, it's just a theory, but I wonder if there's an interaction between that and the RTS system that's somehow causing ArtRage to lag slightly on input. I'll poke around it a bit more and see if I can configure our Surface Pro to fail...

That is great Matt! I really appreciate your persistence

I have no idea what RTS means, but I assume it is something important radialmenu shouldn't mess with Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by herrkjeldsen View Post
    That is great Matt! I really appreciate your persistence

I have no idea what RTS means, but I assume it is something important radialmenu shouldn't mess with Thanks again!
    RTS - RealTime Stylus - is one of the two main tablet driver types that are used with Windows. The other is Wintab. Basically, touchscreen devices usually use RTS and graphics tablets usually use Wintab. But sometimes wires get a bit crossed if one is corrupt, or Windows thinks the wrong one exists (which can be caused by other programs 'messing' with the signals, or by introducing unneeded extra drivers to confuse the issue), so you have to tell ArtRage to ignore whatever Windows is telling it/is being detected, and that it has to use the other one.

There's a bit more info under 'Input Device' in the manual: https://www.artrage.com/manuals/artrage-4/preferences/

Thanks Hannah, I'm learning something new every day

Today the bug appeared again though, but I think perhaps I have found a clue. Since yesterday the only thing I altered on my surface was the setting for press and hold to right click under Pen and touch in the control panel. It seems that turning this feature off results in the issue where some panels won't responding to the pen? If I enable the right click by press and hold it starts working as expected again!

Is that perhaps duplicatable on your end?
    Last edited by herrkjeldsen; 08-06-2015 at 10:45 PM. Reason: added a missing letter

Okay - Checked this out and I can confirm that the problem appears here if we switch off press and hold for right click. This is surprising because Press and Hold for Right Click used to cause almost this exact issue when turned on and we advised turning it off. It looks like something in the OS changed.

We'll look in to it as we revise our input systems. Thanks for finding that!

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread. Any progress on the unresponsive panels/right click to hold issue on the surface pro? The issue seems persistent with the latest update as well.