ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: AR for Android..... a waste of money

AR for Android..... a waste of money

Ever since I bought AR and joined this forum I've tried to be upbeat and supportive but this aggravates me. I bought AR for Android and was very happy with the way it worked HOWEVER, I was sitting in a waiting room last week and thought I'd draw. This wasn't to be though because apparently it requires an internet connection. I would like to bring up the small point that not everybody has a so called smart phone and is connected all the time. I have an Android based tablet and I'm only able to have net access IF I'm close to a WIFI. It might mention this in fine print somewhere but if it did I didn't see it. Even though it was only $5, I'm retired and every penny I spend is important and having an app that I can only use sometimes I feel is misleading and deceptive. I have another app that I bought called Infinite Painter that works online or off. AR is the best art/drawing software I've seen. It seems like you could set things up the same way.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Gosh, I wonder if that's the same for the ipad version. I've only used it at home with the wireless connection. That's really frustrating for you. Do you mean that it just wouldn't work at all, or you couldn't access the painting that you'd been working on? Either way very frustrating. I must try it next time I'm out with my ipad.

There's certainly no intention on our part to require an internet connection, there's no reason why you should need one to use the product!

All I can imagine is that it may relate to the Google Play Licensing system and I believe there are workarounds in that system that we can use to avoid any connectivity requirement anyway, which we would certainly look at implementing. I don't know for sure as I didn't write that system but I'll have a chat with the engineer who did in the morning when she's back from the weekend break and find out what's going on.

In the meantime, could you drop me a note (matt@ambientdesign.com) and let me know exactly what you're seeing and we can look in to it.

Note: I posted before I saw the reply above: The iPad version doesn't require an internet connection - ArtRage on the iPad doesn't do anything with the internet unless you specifically ask to use a system that requires it such as file sharing. The Android version is the same with the possible exception of the licensing system I mentioned above.

If you think there's a problem with something, just get in touch with support and we're happy to look in to it. I figure forum users know us well enough to know that we don't intend to make the product hard to use!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Okay, I've had a chat with Miriam and confirmed my original suspicions: ArtRage for Android (from the Google Play store) does not require an internet connection to run once the license has been validated. This should only need to happen once and is standard for apps that use Google's licensing system.

If you're unable to launch the application after having previously successfully launched it then one of two things could be happening:

1. There is a problem with Google Play on the device and the license has become corrupt. The solution to this is to clear Play Store App Data using Settings / General / Application Manager / Google Play Store / Clear Data. You would then need to be connected once in order to launch the app, after which time you wouldn't need to be connected.
    2. If you have cleared the ArtRage App Data on the device you would need to have internet access once more in order to start the app for the first time, no connection should be required on subsequent app launches.

Either way it does sound like a connection will be required once for you to get back in but when the license is sorted it should run without any requirement for connectivity. We're going to look at a FAQ entry to help explain this for if anyone has this problem in the future, but I hope that that clarifies what's going on and helps resolve the problem. If you can't get it working please drop a mail to support@artrage.com and we'll help you out.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

It seems to be fine now. l turned the WiFi off and started AR, then tried it twice more. A further testament to my ability to break things. I'm glad I was wrong. My apologies and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    This should only need to happen once and is standard for apps that use Google's licensing system.
    I've now experienced the same problem that GMS was having twice now. Your solution of clearing the store data fixed it on both occasions, but in my case at least, it wasn't a permanent fix. As this is the only app I have purchased from the Play Store I don't know whether this is limited to ArtRage, or if it's a problem with the Store itself.

I did it, it worked, but the next time I tried it the same thing happened BUT I closed that message and AR works fine. You might try that.

Quote Originally Posted by banjaxedmdt View Post
    I've now experienced the same problem that GMS was having twice now. Your solution of clearing the store data fixed it on both occasions, but in my case at least, it wasn't a permanent fix. As this is the only app I have purchased from the Play Store I don't know whether this is limited to ArtRage, or if it's a problem with the Store itself.
    If it keeps happening, try clearing the app data for ArtRage as well - clearing the Play Store data fixes it in most cases, but there are always a few odd ones that need something else. What should happene then is that it has a 'clean slate' to go online, verify your purchase, and then stop bothering you.

At worst case, repurchasing the app seems to do the trick (contact us at support@artrage.com with your order number and an explanation of who you are for refunds).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

I will give those suggestions a try if it happens again. It's running fine at the moment though (quite happy with just how well it performs on my device actually).

Delighted to hear it!

(One way to test if it worked is to turn the wifi off and try opening ArtRage - it should work without asking to validate anything).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!