ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: At the Admiral Benbow Inn

At the Admiral Benbow Inn

I have forgotten the captains name, but he was the one with the treasure map, and blind pew was after him, here he was for most of the time, looking down the road to the old harbour... ( A scene from the book Treasure Island)....Hope you like the picture....Jack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At the Benbow.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	330.0 KB 
ID:	85690  
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Sounds like there were some goings on at the ol' Admiral Benbow. This fellow may be none other than "Billy" Bones who wanted to be called "the captain".

Synopsis of the early story in Treasure Island From Wikipedia in which he appears:

An old sailor, calling himself "the captain" real name "Billy" Bones comes to lodge at the Admiral Benbow Inn on the west English coast during the mid-1700s, paying the innkeeper's son, Jim Hawkins, a few pennies to keep a lookout for a one-legged "seafaring man." A seaman with intact legs shows up, frightening Billy who drinks far too much rum into a stroke, and Billy tells Jim that his former shipmates covet the contents of his sea chest. After a visit from yet another man, Billy has another stroke and dies; Jim and his mother (his father has also died just a few days before) unlock the sea chest, finding some money, a journal, and a map. The local physician, Dr. Livesey, deduces that the map is of an island where a deceased pirate Captain Flint buried a vast treasure. The district squire, Trelawney, proposes buying a ship and going after the treasure, taking Livesey as ship's doctor and Jim as cabin boy.

--------------------------
    Nice painting, Jack. He comes to life, even if only for a few pages, and a painting or two. Makes me want to get a copy of the movie and watch it again. Been many years since I saw it. That's the real treasure -- the story and the characters. Now it's a matter of which Long John Silver to watch -- Wallace Beery or Robert Newton.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Nice one Jack. Mr D Akey, when I lived in Bristol I used to go to the Admiral Benbow and the Hole In The Wall. In fact the Llandoger Trow was just along the road as well, so you could go in all three with a little stroll... or stagger.

Quote Originally Posted by fraser_paice View Post
    Nice one Jack. Mr D Akey, when I lived in Bristol I used to go to the Admiral Benbow and the Hole In The Wall. In fact the Llandoger Trow was just along the road as well, so you could go in all three with a little stroll... or stagger.
    And here all this time I thought Pew was Blind Pew. . . Blind Drunk is more like in the remake. Funny how walking drunk is not unlike the dry land is pitching and yawing like in high seas. Avast! We be approachin' tha dread Llandoger Trow. . . Break out the grog! Har!!!! Sounds like you had some fun. Would have liked to be there, treacherous as those seas might be.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Fantastic painting and great detail.