ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: From the Wire

From the Wire

Here are a couple of paintings I did using Artrage 4.5. The first one was mainly done using the oil tool; second was done using the pastel tool. I did both paintings freehand -- so much fun!! If you guys have any suggestions, particularly on blending, I'd appreciate them. Constructive criticism also appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	85675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	419.2 KB 
ID:	85676  

They're pretty good actually. My constructive crit would be to do a lay-in for structure. They're not very off but they're off. And it's something that a lay-in would work out so it wouldn't be an issue. You look adept enough to know this, but in case anyone is interested who doesn't know, I'm talking about the basic structure lines that plot out the perspective and alignment of the eyes, nose and mouth, distances between features, angle of the head, hairline and so on.

Like I said, it's not very off and you could sort of get away with it as it is, but not in the high end professional realm. And only because you're asking would I give my thoughts on it. Most pros I know do a lay-in of some sort as part of what they always do and it rarely lets them down. For people who are just lightly messing around, they think this is an unnecessary step. But believe me, it's worth it to collect your thoughts ahead of time as it were.

Very early on when I was learning to draw I would not use a lay-in. But I used a different formula in which I would keep an eye on the various axises but I got to where I would look at the source and look for relative distances among various key points in the figure (or whatever). It took longer but it was a method that worked for me. That's all fine when it comes to having a model, but it fell apart when I did things out of my head. Sometimes though in looking at a model, it's not so easy to see the axises and to translate them to the page. In those cases you plot it out as close as you can and then make everything conform to the lay-in and it should work even if you get the angle slightly wrong. It will look right in context.

Anyway, enjoy it however you do it. You have some good things going on and they are certainly very believable.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

They're both fantastic and very similar as a style notwithstanding the different tools. The second one seemed a watercolor to me, but I was wrong.
    Anyway congratulations for Your evident talent, thanks for sharing and welcome!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thank you so much for all the comments!!

D Akey -- I really appreciate the constructive criticism. I agree that there are some basic structural flaws. For example, Stringer Bell's eyes do not line up and are not parallel with his other features. Some of the distortion is due to the photo reference, but other's are due to my own shortcomings. I would like to improve. What is meant by "lay-in?" I usually start with a pencil underdrawing and then put in blocks of color that track the major shapes. Are you talking about starting with blocks of color?

Caeser -- Thanks! It was oil (unless I was mistaken about the tool, which is quite possible) but it doesn't have the heavy texture that oil work typically has. I need to look into that.

Justjean -- thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by FelixA7 View Post
    What is meant by "lay-in?" I usually start with a pencil underdrawing and then put in blocks of color that track the major shapes. Are you talking about starting with blocks of color?
    Lay-in means the initial framework like the frame of a house onto which all else is constructed.
    It can be as fast as a couple seconds. It allows for drawing something that can be checked against a model or it can be a complete invention, but it would be a controlled and logical invention that would work by using this as a first step. It basically gives the artist an opportunity to adjust quickly to set up the drawing and to troubleshoot early on before the work gets complicated and the drawing/painting is thus too committed to adjust without greater effort.

The following link has a drawing sample of the idea I'm talking about. I'm not endorsing this group, neither am I not endorsing it. They just happen to have come up in a search I did.

For someone at your level, I'm sure you've done it, but called it by another name. This sample is merely a visual reference for the preliminary step I'm talking about to get the structure worked out immediately. Because it's so uncomplicated, it's generally easier to see if something is correct or not and will remain so throughout the whole painting and drawing process.

http://www.proko.com/drawing-yoni-li...-basic-shapes/
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I just love them both. Amazing work!

Wonderful work
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Lovely portraits, do love the brush strokes