ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Hardware for Artrage.

Hardware for Artrage.

Up till now I have been working with Artrage 4 on an entry level laptop. However I am getting serious business and would like to upgrade so that I can produce work at a higher resolution. What hardware would I need, processor, graphics card, RAM, etc.?

Go for the most you can afford. If you intend to work with high resolutions and multilayers and still have a fluid workflow: Fast processor - I7 3d gen or better, minim 8 Gb RAM (but i'd suggest 16Gb - you can never have enough RAM)). Fast harddrive (7200 rpm), and one more for scrapdrive (or at least a partition). Dedicated graphic card, by default - with the largest CUDA cores stack you find and can afford.... If you work on multiple screens with extended desktop take that into consideration when about resolutions.
    I'm the happiest man in the world. I just don't know this, yet.

my gallery: http://members.artrage.com/gallery/32810

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Absolutely agree. What is your price range? Are you now a MAC or PC user? Interested in Tablets or mouse?

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Valuable questions and infos here, thanks guys!

@ dupart55,
    I hope you don't mind that I hijack your thread for getting more info! My questions and wishes are similar to yours, so perhaps this will also help you.

Orkhan, your reply prompted me to do some research on what are GPUs (still a beginner in that comprehension). My ArtRage artwork requires more power/performance/speed, and I'm looking to get a custom built desktop for large size high resolution ArtRage. In addition to ArtRaging at large size (36 to 48 inches for now, but wishing for 48 to 60 inches if print possible and ArtRage possible and computer possible), I also work with the largest ArtRage tools sizes with full pigment load and thickness.

I yet don't know half enough of where to start, what to look for, how to do it, who do I go to (get a custom built computer). Any help and info will be appreciated. Scrapdrive, graphics card, core stacks, rpm's are other notions I'm not yet familiar with... Please assume I'm a newbie in all of this.

When looking into GPU earlier, I even came across gaming computers and also overclocking... I don't know if these can be used for heavy-duty ArtRaging?

My price range is....????...
    If I set a number right away before knowing all the factors, I won't know what the optimal system would be and how much it would cost. I'd rather know what the optimal is, and then see what I can come up with for a budget, and how much should I compromise to get it sooner than later.

I'm on a regular laptop also, so I'm really looking for a desktop from scratch. PC, not Mac (I don't want to pay double, unless I discover that Apple really wishes to sponsor me and get me fully set up, lol).

Thanks for feedback!

When talking about large canvas sizes. Be sure to mention at what resolution. 300DPI or 100DPI, or 72DPI. Because a 46x60 inch at 600DPI is vastly larger than at 100DPI.

On my machine 40x60 inches at 300DPI is just barely practical with most tools and brushes. And my machines is fairly trick.

Processor 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Memory 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB graphics running a 30-inch Cinema Display DVI‬ (2560 x 1600), plus an NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB graphics for the Cintiq tablet.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Ooops, yeah, resolution!

I'm wishing for 300 pixels-per-inch (not DPI or LPI).

but I've done a few jumbo stretched canvases at 200ppi without losing the "aaah yes!" feel.

Actually, my largest canvas (48" x 40") was at 150ppi because I'd blow ArtRage's capacity (200ppi fail).
    Not ideal, but a pretty darn nice feeling to get that giclee printed.

But my main wish/need in a nutshell, and aside from the printing issue, is to get a powerful/fast computer for while I'm doing the painting, to minimize the computing lag, optimizing the brush strokes and manipulations.

Ah of course there is also the issue of storage memory, as I've recently flushed 95Gb of useless stuff, or else I could not do one single new ArtRage painting... That was 2 weeks ago... now I've since used 75Gb of those 95Gb (ArtRage paintings, yes).
    Last edited by Rachelle; 02-24-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dupart55 View Post
    Up till now I have been working with Artrage 4 on an entry level laptop. However I am getting serious business and would like to upgrade so that I can produce work at a higher resolution. What hardware would I need, processor, graphics card, RAM, etc.?
    Is that ArtRage 4 or ArtRage 4.5? Because if you move from the old XP version to a 64 bit supported OS with ArtRage 4.5, you're going to see a huge increase in performance, even without doing anything else.

After that.... the more RAM you have, the better (most people won't need more than 8GB ever, but if you're doing professional level work, you'll probably want more). RAM is much more important than the graphics card, due to the way ArtRage works.

After that, well, obviously the better your CPU, storage and display, the better. But if you're not hunting the secondhand stores, then you're very unlikely to have one of these be a limiting factor.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Oops. Meant PPI. Keep making the DPI PPI mistake.

Rachelle, I did not meant to disturb the "inner peace" with my quick-tech descriptions... ... Hopefully no harm was done.... Most of the gaming rigs (computers) are fit to handle big loaded AR projects. I'm using AR 4.5, taking big advantage of the 64 bit support. If you are going for a custom built desktop, please run you OS (operating sysstem) from an , lets say, 250 Gb SSD (solid state drive). And you can install AR on that verry same SSD just make sure that you select in ArtRage Preferences a folder to store backup files and temporary files on a different drive... lets say 1 TB HDD at 7200 RPM with 64 Mb buffer size (I recomand Seagate as brand) - the bigger this buffer size, the faster and more information can load up... As about RAM memory, the more the merryer... but one crucial aspect (ok two): to have dual channel modules (it's like this: one man carrying a big log versus two man carrying a big log)... you got the picture... and the other thing is latency... the lower the latency value the faster the memory... you can have detalied info here http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...RAM-Timings/26 . As for overclocking, if you don't know what you are doing you will end up with a BIG toaster that has some pc components in it (I would avoid such thing). About CPU, or the processor, I would go for a i7 Haswell or better... Purchasing overclocked components is a overkill and thrown away money if the whole rig is not optimised for that (including the motherboard that must have support for the overcloked frequencies)... I hope I brought some (maybe not much) light into the matter
    I'm the happiest man in the world. I just don't know this, yet.

my gallery: http://members.artrage.com/gallery/32810