ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie -- some basic questions

Newbie -- some basic questions

Hello all -- I'm a relatively new art rage user, and I have a few questions. First, how do I crop an image? I believe I know how to change canvas dimensions, but what if I my painting is only in a small corner of the canvas? How do I carve out the painting from the rest of the canvas. In GIMP, which I'm used to using, there's a crop tool that looks like a knife blade. I don't see a similar tool for ArtRage.

Also, I'm thrilled at being able to pin a reference photo to a corner of the screen. But I'm struggling to figure out how to put my painting over the reference photo and then change opacity levels so that I can see where the reference and painting diverge. I was easily able to do this on GIMP using layers and opacity -- couldn't figure it out using artrage. In fact, I can't figure out how to upload a layer!!

Lastly, the undo arrow is very handy. However, is there a way to scroll through every step of a painting so that I can go back not just one step but several steps to a specific, earlier point in the painting?

THanks!!

Hi and welcome!

Below are links to the forum sections that are more likely to get your questions answered. I'm leaving this here as opposed to moving it there so people can say hello and you also may get your answers here.

But you may want to check those forum sections since you're new. Lots of cool ideas.

http://forums.artrage.com/forumdisplay.php?9-Technical

http://forums.artrage.com/forumdispl...ips-and-Tricks
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hi FelixA7

Welcome to the forum!

I'm limited in what I presently use and know in ArtRage, but I think the Selection Tool would do what you need for cropping. It's in the Tool Pod, at least in my version 3.5.12 for desktop.

It might also help your querry to specify which version of ArtRage you are using (for iPod, for desktop, etc.)

I'm not versed in using a reference image, so I'll let others help you there.

About the Undo button, I fully cheer and share your wish to have more flexibility with what I would call the "undo history": If we could have access to any (and all) of the prior steps in the sequence we did, without having to manually undo those steps one by one to the desired step... I don't know if this would require too much computing memory, but it would greatly enhance my ArtRage workflow!

This Undo question should also be posted in the Suggestions/Wishlist section of the forum, although it might already have been suggested by other members, so I'll check first as soon as I make time.

--------
    Edit:
    Hi Mr. Akey, didn't see you come in while I was busy typing!

Quote Originally Posted by FelixA7 View Post
    how do I crop an image? I believe I know how to change canvas dimensions, but what if I my painting is only in a small corner of the canvas? How do I carve out the painting from the rest of the canvas.
    You didn't mention which version of ArtRage you're using, so I'll assume it's ArtRage 4 (the current release). Personally, and as Rachelle suggested, I'd use the selection tool for this. Just select the Selection tool from the tools panel and be sure to have the Feather option set to 0% and the Rectangle mode selected in the settings panel. Then select the area of the canvas you wish to be cropped and then go to Edit → Crop to Selection.

Also, I'm thrilled at being able to pin a reference photo to a corner of the screen. But I'm struggling to figure out how to put my painting over the reference photo and then change opacity levels so that I can see where the reference and painting diverge. I was easily able to do this on GIMP using layers and opacity -- couldn't figure it out using artrage. In fact, I can't figure out how to upload a layer!!
    I'm not sure I fully understand what you're attempting to achieve here. It almost sounds like you're trying to use a Reference image as a layer, which you'd like to use with blend options. I'd suggest trying the "Import Image File to Layer" Option (go to File → Import Image File to Layer; not to be confused with the Import Image File option, just above it). It will allow you to select an image and place onto the layer stack as its own layer. You can then change the blend modes (including Multiply, Color Dodge/Burn, Darken, etc) for that image layer using the options available on the Layer Panel (look for Blend Mode; not to be confused with the Bump Blend Mode, just beneath it).

Lastly, the undo arrow is very handy. However, is there a way to scroll through every step of a painting so that I can go back not just one step but several steps to a specific, earlier point in the painting?
    ArtRage doesn't have a History list to select from, like some users may be familiar with in programs like Photoshop, so you'll be stuck clicking the undo button or hitting your shortcut key to scroll through each change.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Here is a screen shot of what I think you are asking. I traced the outline of my reference photo - see top layer - Then using the reference, I painted the bird. I usually have the tracing image closed (click on the eye) once I have traced the outline. However, you can leave it open and adjust the opacity of the tracing image with the slider so you can check back and forth with your painting.

Notice how my canvas looks 'washed out', that's because you are seeing the tracing image over my painted layer. If you wanted the reference layer under the painting layer you could do as mentioned in the previous post - File/Import Image File to Layer - you can adjust the opacity on the layer

You don't see it here because I rearranged the layers for the screenshot but I would normally have my outline layer set to Multiply in the Blend Modes.

Hope this helps - just keep asking and others will probably jump in. Welcome by the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Next to the option to add a Reference image is another menu pod called 'Tracing'. This is what you're after. It will add a non-editable overlay that lets you move and adjust opacity as you draw.
    http://www.artrage.com/manuals/tracing-and-references/

To import images specifically to layers as paint, go to File > Import image as layer (you can also convert existing tracing layers to paint via the tracing image menu).

It looks like everyone else has answered your other questions very well!
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thank you all so much for your help!! You answered my questions about the layers. I still need to fiddle around with how to crop. When I select a portion of a drawing, I can cut and move it around, but I don't know how to delete the surrounding parts of the drawing and make the selected portion the entire drawing.

Thanks!!

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    I believe you want what is known as the Crop/Expand Canvas tool. Top Menu>Edit>Crop/Expand Canvas

You have to manually enter your dimensions and then drag the preview window to enter your subject.

REMEMBER to adjust your resolution if you want to maintain image integrity after crop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 12.28.28 PM.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	85679

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Or just select an area and go to Edit > Crop To Selection
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Duh. OMG. Of course. Too easy! Thanks to Hannah.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)