ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to paint like Savador Dali?

Gallery
    View images

How to paint like Savador Dali?

Not sure if 'paint' is really the correct term to use. Im talking about the really smooth looking art. Is it pastel?

example: http://www.usc.edu/schools/annenberg...mages/742.html

Sorry for sounding like a newb, I really am new to this

Gallery
    View images
    Oil is what he used usually (I think).

Pastel is a great medium in this program. Offers control and it's not nearly as fragile as real pastel which can be accidentally smudged.

Unlike most real world pastels, I would use little to no tooth on the paper because you don't need to have the paper grab the pastel in tiny holes.
    And the color won't change because you don't need to spray fixative on it.

If I were you, I would take a small square section chunk of that painting and render it as closely as you can. No reason to frustrate yourself overmuch with overcomplicating the process with lots of stuff going on.

Or pastel a piece of fruit or billiard ball or something.

Don't want to bore you either.

Back to the Dali copying, make a palette from his painting. Having the color and value worked out for you should prove a great help.

Go check out the tips and tricks section for some hints on how to make a palette from an imported picture.

And ask Peter Pinckney to tell you the trick his four year old son taught him about working over a picture. (I forgot how). But he's been doing it of late.

Have fun! Dali is definitely do-able.

Gallery
    View images
    here's the colors from that painting. You can open this as a reference image, and sample colors from this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Hanzz,

That's a real cool color palette. I like it. Thanks for sharing.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks!

So that picture I linked to, is that an oil painting?

Gallery
    View images
    Frequently galleries mention the medium and the size. This one said it's oil on canvas.

There are some cool series of books that discuss different historic painters and their techniques.

I don't know if there are any books on Salvador Dali that specifically go into his painting technique, since the reason he will continue to be remembered is his place as a prominent Surrealist. His claim to fame is what he thought. And while his painting technique was good, it wasn't groundbreaking (unless I'm mistaken). Any book on painting oils realistically would serve you if you're interested in real world technique.

He lived a long time and made images lots of ways. I know he also got into film, photography and prints, and may well have dabbled with sculpture. But his famous paintings are in oil, I think.

Come to think of it, he was an early performance artist. He played the part of the surrealist very theatrically.

To do Surrealist painting, you paint fairly realistically either outrageous, unexpected, or symbolic imagery tossed together in ways that jar you into questioning and thinking.

That's a sprawling explanation though, and probably doesn't do justice the subject, nor answer your question in a way that tells you how to use ArtRage to paint like him. But it may help you to perhaps consider the range of surrealist expression.

Good luck and have fun with it. Surrealism is fun to explore.

Gallery
    View images
    haha oops. I can't believe I didn't even see that 'Oil on canvas'. ops:

Thanks for the info.

OH also, when I say paint like him I meant his use of colours and the way he actually paints onto the canvas rather than ideas and surrealism. Sorry for not being clear.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Jono,

I was with D Akey, I thought you were looking for a reason and not a method.

First step is to find the Paper Settings, where it says "Load Tracing image" at the bottom of the screen and turn "Roughness" down to zero.

I think you may have a problem doing very, very smooth painting with ArtRage.
    I used to do tempera and very thin oils. Because ArtRage has a built in Lighting system from somewhere near the top left hand corner it's better at slightly chunky stuff.

Using the Airbrush on a Layer and then trimming it with an eraser would probably come close to Dali.

When you get to painting melted watches you are on your own.
    Good luck with the moustache, you can't do Dali without one. :lol:

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Nor without a crutch.

He was big on crutches for the symbolic implication of people in society's use of them. He carried one, probably for the image, like George Burns had a cigar. So, in a way, his crutch became a crutch.

Just stick a crutch somewhere in there and you're well on your way.

Thanks Aged P for the painting tips. I wouldn't know where to begin.

Gallery
    View images
    Not had time to play lately, but hopefully this weekend I can start experimenting.

However I was hanging out at Tate Modern yesterday and was inspired by this painting, quite similar to the style I'm looking for: http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewW...&tabview=image

It says Oil on canvas with pencil. It just doesnt look like oil unless you look up close!