ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Layering oil paints

Gallery
    View images

Layering oil paints

Just a quick question about oil paints.

When layering paints, how do I have current colour not mix with the underlying one? I know the easiest thing to do is to turn on Instant Dry, but isnt that kinda cheating? How would a painter do it using real paints? Im guessing you just wont press as hard so it doesnt mix, how do I simulate this with ArtRage? Or do you really wait for it to dry first?

Gallery
    View images
    As far as I know, someone using 'real' oil paints must wait a week or two for the paint to dry before the first layer can be painted over without mixing with the new layer. That's one of the reasons why many people like painting with acrylics or alkyds, because they dry very quickly. Insta dry just speeds the process up a lot.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Gallery
    View images
    Just moving this to the tips and tricks forum. When you're using oil paints in real life it can certainly take a long time for them to dry.

ArtRage doesn't try to emulate drying over time and gives you a couple of options for dealing with this. Firstly, yes, you can use "insta dry". Secondly, you can use a new layer if you're using the Full Edition of ArtRage. This gives you the advantage of being able to use "wet" paint on the new layer without smooshing the paint on the lower layer around.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Oh yeah! I keep forgetting about the layers. I tend to get confused using them so I mainly stick to only one layer. When I get the time, I'll have to learn how to use them properly. All of the blending modes really have me stumped too, but I guess playing will clear it up.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Gallery
    View images
    Basically, to begin with, I'd pretty much ignore the blending modes beyond the default. If you think of adding a layer as adding another sheet of transparent ( by default ) paper over the top of your existing painting you're not far wrong there!

If you want to add paint to any previous "pages" you can just open the layers panel, click on the appropriate page and paint away. That's how I tend to visualise layers in ArtRage anyway
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by jvolkel
    Oh yeah! I keep forgetting about the layers. I tend to get confused using them so I mainly stick to only one layer. When I get the time, I'll have to learn how to use them properly.
    It's easier than it looks, really. You won't know what to do with them for the first picture or two, but after that you'll wonder how you did without them.

Gallery
    View images
    That explains it then!

I will just use insta-dry.