ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Why should I choose Flatten Sticker to Paint?

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor

Why should I choose Flatten Sticker to Paint?

I see the option in my layers menu. But, I don't understand the advantages provided by flattening.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Hi Victor

WARNING:
    This is NOT a techie reply!

I'm still green with the stickers, and also with the notion of stickers-as-brushes. I just now went and tried something before replying to you.

I'm not sure I grasp exactly what the difference is between the "Stickers Sheet" (I think that's the name in english) and the actual tool of Stickers in the Tools Pod. I notice there is a Stickers Pod (which contains the Stickers Sheets), and the Sticker Tool itself in the Tools Pod. Apparently there is some difference, which I'm still trying to wrap my brain around.

So far, this is what I grasp:

When selecting a sticker from a Stickers Sheet, it is being used as a form (with Transform handles around it) instead of as a brush.
    This sticker-from-a-sheet-of-stickers appears as what I would call a non-layer in the Layer Pod. That non-layer has the footprints symbol where is usually the "lock transparency" button.

When selecting the actual Sticker Tool in the tool pod, all the marks we make with it are actual pigments on an actual canvas layer, and are alterable by other tools and pigments (such as the Knife for blending), which will drag/alter the pigments we put down with the Sticker tool. I think this is what other members refer to as "using stickers as brush"?

Anyway, if you don't flatten the stickers that come from Stickers Sheet they will not be alterable/blendable with the knife etc. But by flattening, this sticker does become a bunch of pigments as though you'd have made the mark with a brush or knife or crayon, etc., and is now blendable as the other regular pigments.

This is as far as I've come with sticker experimentations, and I don't know if there are other differences and usage, though.

I'm hoping for some more clarity as well, so I'll check this thread for real savvy and expertise.

What Rachelle mentioned is pretty much it, in terms of what the flatten option does. It takes an active sticker layer and turns it into rasterized data that can then be interacted with by the other art tools (blended, smeared, cut, etc). You'll find the same option is available for the text tool layers. Both the Stickers (either pealed from a sheet or placed down by the Sticker Spray with the Auto-flatten turned off) and the Text are given special layers, which allows users to edit attributes unique to those items. The Stickers, for example, can have shadows rendered beneath them, or have their individual tints changed, while the text can have it's word contents and font changed.

For more information on Stickers (or ArtRage in general), you might find some of my ArtRage Tutorials and Demonstrations useful. Some of them are a bit out of date (being made when ArtRage 3 had just released), but the features will have carried over.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you lots, Someonesane

My brain is now fitting way better around these Sticker notions.

I've been using some of your video tutorials in the past few weeks, thanks for that too.

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Thanks you two!

Just what I needed.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)