ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Paint Roller paint artifact/bug (?)

Paint Roller paint artifact/bug (?)

Dear all,

I've recently finally got to painting with the artrage 4 which I purchased after a relatively long break from using this program (artrage 1 or 2 was bundled with one of my first tablets years ago);

I have a question regarding how one of my favorite tools is currently rendering pixels in this version:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 15.44.33.png
Views: 128
Size:  376.6 KB

This is what paint roller strokes look like when I paint (I've disabled canvas lighting which amplifies the effect a little bit more), and I don't remember having the white pixel border appearing in the older version. Changing tool settings does not remove this affect, but changing canvas roughness to zero does the trick. The problem is that canvas roughness goes back to 60 something on my canvas of choice after I restart the program, and I don't see a way to keep those settings saved permanently.

Is there anything I am missing, or any explanation to why this change was added to the paint roller rendering method?

Other than that, I enjoyed the upgrade a lot, love how fast it is on my current system, the 64 bit support is amazing, and I'm absolutely a fan of paint mixing and blending you've developed in the recent versions.
    Last edited by darkermarker; 02-13-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Looking at it, I'd guess it was a texture effect, but I can't actually replicate it.

Can you check exactly what settings you have the Paint Roller? Which canvas grain are you using? Does it still show up if you change either of these?

You can also create a shortcut using a saved file with all your preferred canvas settings and add your current settings as a preset (canvas menu > menu button in top right > Add Canvas Preset).

You can upload images directly to the forum, either by adding it as an Attachment (look for 'Manage Attachments' in the options way down below the text box when posting) or by clicking the tiny tree image in the text editing options above the text field.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Sure!
    It is a custom paint roller with these settings:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 20.17.59.png
Views: 117
Size:  26.5 KB

and an "essential canvas" from the "canvas" paper group, but it is visible with other papers as well, unless I'm removing the paper roughness completely;
    it looks like it's embedded into paint strokes as well, btw - it does not go away on the older strokes if I slide paper roughness to zero, i.e.:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 20.23.31.png
Views: 112
Size:  200.3 KB

(fresh set of strokes are red, and they don't have this issue)

I just tried the saving custom canvas settings and it worked perfectly - thanks for this tip! (although it seems to reset canvas lighting after program restart - I prefer to keep it off, because it washes colors out a little bit.)

Okay, now I get it straight away. Typical

Had a chat to the programmers, and they've confirmed that this isn't intended behaviour. Thanks for the details, we've added it to the list of 'stuff to look into and hopefully fix in future updates'.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

I too, have seen this problem. I just enlarged the size of the roller to cover an area without getting those artifacts. Not the greatest solution so far. I truly appreciate that the ArtRage team actually listens to the users of this great software. Looking forward to the fix.

In the meantime, I filled a canvas with little roller-paint artifacts and converted it into a texture and a stencil. So fun-- thanks for pointing it out so I can use it both fixed and unfixed.

Quote Originally Posted by sueellen View Post
    In the meantime, I filled a canvas with little roller-paint artifacts and converted it into a texture and a stencil. So fun-- thanks for pointing it out so I can use it both fixed and unfixed.
    Sueellen, you are woman after my own heart. ArtRage simply lets you go around the problem and find something unexpected and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Okay, now I get it straight away. Typical

Had a chat to the programmers, and they've confirmed that this isn't intended behaviour. Thanks for the details, we've added it to the list of 'stuff to look into and hopefully fix in future updates'.
    Thank you very much! I'm looking forward to see this issue fixed, good to know it is not an isolated issue with my installation.

Have a great week.