ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kookaburra

Kookaburra

As promised, here he is.

Name:  kookaburra=th.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  123.4 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

So did he sit in some old gum? That happened to me once. Ruined me pantaloons.

Might as well laugh Kookaburra. . .Seems like their song would be well accompanied by didgeridoo. Very region specific, eh?

That's a fine and very clear patterning on the plumage. I don't think I've ever actually seen one, certainly not in real life though I have heard recordings of their sounds.

That's a pretty swell painting, Enug. So they are common down under are they then? Bet they're pretty to come across.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks, yes they are quite common - we often hear them in the trees around here - especially after a shower of rain for some reason. There's a huge old gum tree in the plaza where we go for coffee of a morning and they are often sitting there having a laugh. The girth of the tree is so large, I think 3 or 4 people would have to join hands to reach around it.

Some years ago someone drilled holes in the trunk and tried to poison the tree - rumoured one of the business landlords didn't like it's proximity to his premises. The tree was very sick for a while but with regular care - the council has taken ownership of the tree - it is now flourishing. So it's very special to be sipping our coffee and listening to the kookaburras 'in the old gum tree'.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Really really nice, I love the texture of the canvas and the way it shows through.

Very nice. I also like the choice of canvas.

He's a little beauty, June . I like that tree branch too

Thanks everyone for the nice comments - the canvas is another of Mr.Paint's - New Mr. Paint - Nice Collection - newmrpaint_1. I've tried to find where I downloaded them so I could provide a link - I thought it could have been in DeviantArt's AR resources but can't find them there. There are some wonderful grains in the collection. Perhaps someone else remembers where they can be found?
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Really really nice.........

Enug

I like your kookaburra very much. Warm and cozy setting, beautiful plumage detail and texture, and yes, that canvas grain too.

Thanks for the anecdote also; for a nice moment I lingered at that plaza after finishing my coffee, quietly absorbed in the scene, and the bird's rythmic laughter. Then I stirred at hearing the deep voice of Mister Akey's didgeridoo replying to the little fellow!