ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Only one document open at one time?

Only one document open at one time?

Hi,
    One thing that has bothered me is that I can only have one art rage painting open at a time. Sometimes it might be nice to grab a layer or an element from one painting to put in another or just referring to another painting.
    Currently, I'm teaching a small digital art class at a local studio. Yesterday I was doing a demo, and I really wanted to show other paintings that I've done that are similar subjects/techniques. I had to open and close 3 documents to be able to show how I organized the layers and such.
    One thing I really like about art rage, is that it is not the memory hog that some other painting programs can be at times, and I suppose that if you had multiple paintings open, it would be a memory hog.

For desktop versions of AR you could get round this by launching additional instances of AR which would let you copy and past things between them.
    Windows OS is happy to just let you do this but if you are on a Mac then some deception is needed to trick OSX into letting you do it!
    In the normal run of things on Macs, OSX will not let another instance of an App launch while the first is still running. So two options to get around this;
    1: Right click on AR in the Applications folder and choose 'Duplicate' this gives you a copy appended with the word "copy". Do it again on the original AR app and you get anther instance "copy 2'" and so on. All of which can be launched as separate entities.
    When your done with AR just delete the duplicates if you want or leave them around for use another day.
    Note: 'Duplicate' serves better here than choosing 'Copy' as each instance is automatically appended so you can tell which is which icon in the Dock when switching between instances.
    2: The techie approach! Make an Apple Applet to run a command to make the OS launch a second instance of AR.
    You can find one I made earlier here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rtRage4%2B.zip
    The .zip contains both the Applet to launch ArtRAge 4 and the script (looks like a white scroll) that it was made from. For it to work ArtRAge 4 must be in the Applications folder and still be called ArtRage 4.
    To be honest I think option 1 above is the simplest way to go.

Warning!
    Don't try working on the exact same file with two different instances of AR. I'm not sure what would happen but it's probably something bad!
    Having multiple instances of AR open in and of itself shouldn't be a problem so long as you have sufficient system resources i.e RAM and CPU capacity for them all to use.
    Last edited by markw; 02-04-2015 at 07:05 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Warning!
    Don't try working on the exact same file with two different instances of AR. I'm not sure what would happen but it's probably something bad!
    Having multiple instances of AR open in and of itself shouldn't be a problem so long as you have sufficient system resources i.e RAM and CPU capacity for them all to use.
    While I can't vouch for Macs (as you're technically not supposed to do it at all), working on the same file in Windows just means that the last save overwrites the other file's changes. It's perfectly possible to open a file twice and copy-paste between them, for example.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!