Page 87 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

I really like it. I don't get stopped at every abrupt change in value and color. A way to say it is that it draws less attention to the mechanics of painting and more to experiencing the vision. I just sort of float into the setting, around on my lily pad, exploring the serenity -- the jewel in the center of the canvas, to bend a famous consciousness phrase to a painting experience.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks a million sir! Your kind words have always helped me!
    Lifetime learner

Mountains and a quiet beach

Have tried to do this one after looking at hundreds of pictures and paintings in an attempt to understand the basics. Read a lot of related suggestions online, have tried to work further on brushwork, shadows and reflections. Any good? Seeking suggestions from all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	175 
Size:	299.3 KB 
ID:	98264  
    Lifetime learner

Well, since you are heading the way of separate marks, why not make it artful. No matter which way you go, and all directions are valid, try thinking of it as an art. This could be really something if you were to latch on to an idea and really explore it. Just a small suggestion since I know painting's primarily as a release for you so you can unwind rather than it being work. You may be achieving your desired end. Yeah, I know, you're just learning. . . we all are. I'm learning the violin which I just began. My efforts are rather crude, I dare say. So you're way ahead of me.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

For taking it to the next level, I really need to work hard! Shall keep trying, thanks sir!
    Lifetime learner

For what it's worth, flying by the seat of your pants is fine if you have the formulas down where you know them well enough to feel your way into a painting. But even those folks who have go-to methods, when things aren't working, they will consciously fall back on those formulas to bring the troubled painting back on track.

Looking at forms and lighting and how to give the illusion of a shape turning, mixing colors that give the illusion that one part is closer and another farther away, using color and values to group elements into larger sections, and placing them in a designed way on the canvas -- those are your tools when working with naturalism. Working from the big picture first and then detailing it out is the way to go.

I hope this is helpful. It's very hard to offer suggestions as you're painting when it would make a difference rather than after you're done and you post it up on the forums. I sure hope on some level you're having fun.

Maybe you can take a class in the real world with an instructor who paints like you want to paint. You can then learn by them showing you exactly what they're doing and thinking as they paint. Just looking at paintings or even reading books isn't a very good method if you're into new areas. Besides, it may well be a whole lot more fun for you to be with others sharing the journey. Was always more fun for me to do it that way. I mean keep posting here. Love seeing your work. But you may want to enter the real world too.

Your suggestions well taken sir! Shall try to watch it in real time with an artist, perhaps. Thanks again!
    Lifetime learner

Log cabin

Have given it a try, cabin needed more colours perhaps! Foliage, shadows, sunlight, hope I've done some justice! Shall welcome suggestions from all please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	281.0 KB 
ID:	98269  
    Lifetime learner

Nicely romantic. I take it that it's something of a self portrait, even if only in spirit. I like how you're pulling the focus in to the characters and cabin through values and saturation, even staging. Sets a mood.

Hahaha, self portrait! Shall convey it to Her Majesty, for sure sir! Thanks!
    Lifetime learner