Page 81 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

wow, the flower vase is amazing! good work!

Thanks for taking a look!
    Lifetime learner

Still life

Have given it yet another try, just to work on reflections and shadows. No reference photo, so the subject has nothing to catch attention, just the jug! Seek suggestions from all please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	97728  
    Lifetime learner

I know you were responding to D.O.'s suggestions, so I won't comment on that for when they come in and say something again, if they're so motivated. But it's got good stuff happening.

Probably the thing I would recommend in the case of actual geometric objects, is to be aware of how you're creating volume, to make certain the volume seems to hold the shapes. It's just a bit off. And that's just a matter of fine tuning the values and the contours and such so that the volume reads appropriately -- ie. the bulges are in the right place and of the right dimension so it doesn't flatten out too much or bulge too much or whatever. That's largely a matter of how the shadows fall (values describing contour).

(look at the angle down on the pitcher and table which is higher and the cup which is lower/narrower meaning the eye is lower when looking at it, compared with the other shapes.) The angles are in disagreement about where the point of view is - as an example. That's in the drawing stage often times that you work that out. Sometimes it can be corrected in the painting stage. But it's easier to get it right before painting has committed to it.).

Anyway, nice one.
    Last edited by D Akey; 06-27-2019 at 07:23 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Shadows do not correspond to shapes and placement on the table, completely agree sir! Plus the composition also dull, I admit! Let me see how I can improve on these, thanks for your suggestions sir!
    Last edited by Drskmishra; 06-27-2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Spellings
    Lifetime learner

Another nice still life!

One technique I think is useful at the early stage is to build the scene in one's mind starting from the table-top and going up past the top of the objects...

1. Imagine the points and surfaces where the objects touch the table... their contact "footprint" if you will, and their relation to each other. The orange touches essentially at a point, the cup has a circular footprint, and the jug also has its footprint (cant quite tell, but its circular or oval). Imagine what a sketch of this footprint on the table would look like looking directly down at it... and also from your perspective

2. Now imagine taking a virtual plane parallel to the table and sliding it up through the objects, taking slices as you go. These slices are very much like the footprints, but are above the table. Are the objects close... far apart... do they potentially overlap in space? This gives you a sense of how the objects relate to each other in the space above the table.

Imagining 1 and 2 helps with placement of the objects (so they do not occupy the same space above the table) and drawing their outlines, and keeping their spatial relationships to each other clear in one's mind. This also helps with things like shadows, highlights, reflections, etc. by keeping the spatial relationships clear.

Me quedé asombrado con este último óleo... Bastante distinto a tus primeras pinturas... Tu técnica es excelente y muy personal... Felicitaciones.-
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Thanks D.O. for such a detailed explanation of spatial disposition of objects! As a practicing physician, I keep seeing CT scans of patients with slices at different levels of the body, your explanations are nowhere less in description, thanks so much for the detailed advice! Shall try to improve further sir, thanks again!
    Lifetime learner

Quote Originally Posted by damasocl View Post
    Me quedé asombrado con este último óleo... Bastante distinto a tus primeras pinturas... Tu técnica es excelente y muy personal... Felicitaciones.-
    Thanks sir for taking a look at my works!
    Lifetime learner

Landscape

Have done this landscape after sometime, been observing them in details of late. Getting any better? Seeking suggestions from all please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	125 
Size:	460.3 KB 
ID:	97744  
    Lifetime learner