Page 61 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

Thanks for appreciating
    Lifetime learner

Again, I don't want to wear out the impact of the word but "WOW!"

I'm with DarkOwnt on this one.

Listen, the reason I'm sounding so enthusiastic is because of the context of your progress. I can see the phases you've been going through and the honest persistence with which you have taken the journey. If I am to look at your evolution like an actual travel log, I can see the places to which you have gotten, and the record of each place.

So as I recall you started out in the city, then the sequence of stops is not clear immediately and it's mostly relative to the style in which you painted. You went on a trail into the woods, to the shore, to the lake and on a hill, etc. And my various "wow" reactions are based on the previous imaginative locations, and then, as happens on nature hikes, one rounds a corner onto a clearing or a vista and it sort of takes the words away and all you want to do is look and take it in as a heretofore unknown discovery.

This particular painting is very different again. And I really like it. I like that you can make a painting in broad design, without detail, that still implies all the detail. It's just that part is removed temporarily from the potential clutter, and you are essentially commenting on how those masses play and relate as masses of color on a canvas. The detail is always there to add when and if it's needed for your story, but it is articulating a component of the landscape. And you can also see this as the point of your painting. And later, in other paintings you can add bits (if you want) that enhance that initial experience of shapes of color.

You had not previously done that. It's a very useful place to be because you are not thinking in terms of a reliance on details, but rather you're establishing the big stuff first that may or may not be enough with or without the details. It's moving toward a natural editing down to the essence. And there's a whole world down this path as well. Since you're a doctor (as I recall) you know that when you prescribe medication, you usually start out with a small dose and then see how the patient responds. This is along those lines.

Bravo!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Sir, you have analysed my progress so well! And so keenly you have followed my journey! Your suggestions have been important and to the point, all the time. And I love the analogy you have drawn between my medications and paintings! I hope to learn more and more every time I paint, thanks again sir!
    Lifetime learner

Autumn time

More of autumn, tried to improve on them. Looking forward to seeing suggestions from all please
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	181 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	94924  
    Lifetime learner

Oh, thanks a million!
    Lifetime learner

Ah. Going back to drawing with the brush. Cool. It's not uncommon to paint like that. Has a certain regional, street painter character. Quick and facile, where a street vendor paints something right before your eyes. If that's what you were aiming at, you nailed it. I have seen tourists come home with that kind of painting and proudly hang it on their wall as a souvenir of their vacation. So the distinct look often carries memories like an old song memento of early romance because it identifies a time and place when they were lit up just as might happen with old tickets from a first dance or a photo in a yearbook from school or song with personal meaning lights them up.

On the other hand, for me the sharp marks over the blurred underpainting are quite different in character between each other and they are not the most integrated way to create volume. The sharp marks sit on top of the other painting and there's really no middle bridge between them. So for me it's a bit general in a way it was just a quick thought for the painter using a minimal formula and not really about trying to resemble a specific location. It's analogous to someone doing a quick dance move or few turns of a quick jig (Ireland) in a burst of spontaneous joy. It's not about perfected quality. It's about the moment.

Every style has a purpose and appeal for different reasons to different people. So while this style doesn't pull me in as an artist, at least half the world would probably say they really like it.
    Last edited by D Akey; 04-06-2018 at 08:02 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You got it right sir! The countryside in my part of world looks like this during autumn. It's an absolute riot of colours, in fact I couldn't depict even half of that! Thanks for having taken a look!
    Lifetime learner

Stilllife grapes

Have tried this again, detailing, shadows and all. Seek suggestions from all please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	184 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	94976  
    Lifetime learner

Nice start. Looks like it's wanting highlights and perhaps some shadowing. But the highlights are what would make it feel like a grape. Look around on YouTube. There's some basic demos (real paint) that have the general idea. I don't think they're meant to be more than the idea of how it's done. The ones I saw were only fair. But it shows what you're lacking here.

You start putting in some highlights and so on and you'll fall out of your chair how convincing it will get with not a lot of anxiety over getting it right. It's a simple formula thing that will add luminosity to your piece. As I recall you did something with a water droplet more than a year ago and it's a very similar idea.