Page 44 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

Seascape

Have given it a try again, using knife largely. Seeking suggestions from all please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	90068  
    Lifetime learner

I really like your take on it this go around. It's a bit stylized and I think that makes it unique. Pattern and shape seem to be the descriptive emphasis you used to describe.

I love the light range of values you employed for this one. Feels like a luminous sea of light. Even the sky is of that essential luminescence. For me that translates from an ordinary ocean wave to that of some pretty cool metaphoric associations -- as if at night it glows from within. Or perhaps a different state of consciousness that has a difficult time even registering negativity or heaviness.

Well done.

Last edited by D Akey; 06-25-2016 at 07:17 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Sir, your kind words have always been hugely encouraging for me. Looks like I can go on painting more of these! Thanks sincerely.
    Lifetime learner

Very well done. Confident strokes and an energy that would almost remind Turner. Dramatic improvement!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

I like this, it shows movement and enjoyment of doing this painting, it kind of reminds my of when you are under water and looking up to the beautiful colors in the ocean on a bright sunny day, very nice

Un excelente trabajo de la espátula!

An excellent work of the knife!
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Sunset at beach

Thanks all of you for the kind and encouraging words. Have been trying to improve every time. Have been learning to do highlights, submitting this one for comments and suggestions please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	90109  
    Lifetime learner

Love all the movement in the waves and what a lovely sky!
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Wow! Those colors are really rich. Very nice sky. The water is also well designed.

I think my suggestion in this case is to consider that primary wave that is picking up the light through it. It's best to think of the color temperature of the light in the world of the painting and consider that it is being tinted by that color. So if there's a blue light bulb illuminating a room, you would have things mostly tinted toward that particular blue. If there's a fireplace that's illuminating the room, then everything in that room would be pushed toward the reds, oranges and yellows.

So my point here is that using white as the light color in this one when the color of the light source is seen in the sun and sky, you could add a whole lot of richness to the painting by introducing some of those colors into the water foam. And most of all, because in these types of seascapes, the key drama is in the breaking wave with the light shining through it, you would want to probably push the saturation of the light in that translucency to a color, not just white. Intellectually, we know light is coming through, and since light often seems white, we think just by making it whitish is doing the job. But not really.

Think of looking at light through a piece of amber or a gemstone like jade -- more to the point like looking through the color of a stained glass window. It just works better when you work from the neutral and more dark to the more saturated and lighter. Try some variations and see how that works.

Anyway, having said that, this is really really good. I love that you're jumping off into color more. It makes for a far more interesting and dynamic painting. You're really going places now! You're juggling more balls in the air at once, which is more complex. But the payoff is so much richer and you're succeeding on many many levels. So keep going!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Understand your point, sir, shall take this into account the next time. Thanks for taking time out for my work and look forward to more guidance.
    Lifetime learner