Page 40 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

Sir, have been watching waves form by the beach, foam and all. Lot to learn as you rightly pointed out. With your encouragement I'm sure to get somewhere, but in between you all will have to bear with some hopeless paintings!
    Lifetime learner

Oh, I think we can bear whatever paintings you post if you can bear our hopefully helpful comments. I for one have been enjoying watching your rapid progress, especially considering you were out sidelined with an injury. Go man go!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Seascape

Have been learning the waves, any better this? Looking forward to suggestions from all please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	139 
Size:	343.6 KB 
ID:	89482  
    Lifetime learner

Frankly it looks more like the Niagara falls ....
    If it may be of some help, waves tend to look like a gentle hump first, then they peak towards the forefront and form some foam on the peak. Afterwards their tops dive downwards and the wave substantially rolls (and take that shape) to finally break down splashing all over .... more or less these are the phases. Which one did You choose?
    Last edited by Caesar; 04-05-2016 at 09:35 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thanks, sir for the guidance, I thought I was doing the last bit, crashing big waves at the shore. Long way to go, I know!
    Lifetime learner

Quote Originally Posted by Drskmishra View Post
    Thanks, sir for the guidance, I thought I was doing the last bit, crashing big waves at the shore. Long way to go, I know!
    I didn't mean to discourage You. Water and waves in particular are among the most difficult subjects, even by direct observation (since they move and are harder to analize).
    Pictures may be of help and copying from some master too and even more (Tinzo in here showed us an example a decade ago You may possibly find among the tutorial resources).
    Go on with it and any other subject to practice and best wishes!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Yeah, it's not an overnight thing. There's a lot to learn about painting water. But when it works, it's spectacular.

I'd say keep at the same thing until you master it. If you do something and it doesn't quite work and you shift to something different, you may have left before having learned your lesson that subject has to offer.

I would find a painting where someone did it right that pleases you and copy even a portion of it and do it over and over till you get it -- like a breaking wave on the beach. That's going to be different from water in deep sea. Pick one and work at it until it starts to happen for you.

I agree with Caesar on this last one. It does look more like rushing water in river rapids. I think that is because I don't see much form, but just white water. And that is a characteristic of that kind of water movement.

Keep at it. You'll get it eventually. And when you do you'll be very happy you did what it took to understand what's happening.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks both of you for such involvement largely because of which I've been learning. Have been watching sea waves keenly, let me see what I can do.
    Lifetime learner

Sea

Back again with waves at noon time. Have tried to depict all I watched by the beach, looking forward to suggestions please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	147 
Size:	427.0 KB 
ID:	89503  
    Lifetime learner

Now you're cookin'!

Keep going, and as we say here in California where we grab our surfboards and head into the breakers, "Surf's up!"

It's the favorite call among surfers. . . and seascape painters too I'll wager.

A real jump ahead.