Page 2 of 122 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Welcome! I see You already feel pretty confident with this software. Nice start!
    Thanks, sir, for the kind words of encouragement.

Giant sea waves

Rather quick with this second one, once again for comments/ suggestions please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	315.1 KB 
ID:	85344  

I liike the spontaneous brushwork and the palette. It looks like a sky or a wavy sea and it's pleasant to look at. You were probably testing also blending by knife, I presume, which is a good exercise to get credible tonal and hue transitions in the sky..
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I liike the spontaneous brushwork and the palette. It looks like a sky or a wavy sea and it's pleasant to look at. You were probably testing also blending by knife, I presume, which is a good exercise to get credible tonal and hue transitions in the sky..
    Sir, thanks again for your encouraging words, it also means I can keep trying!

Nice shapes. Good stuff!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Nice shapes. Good stuff!
    Sir, thanks again for your observation. Let me see how I can improvise further.

Palaash flowers

Palaash flowers grow in our part of world during fall. Bright orange, hardly any foliage, mostly in the wild. Opinions on the work please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	290.7 KB 
ID:	85438  

Cool. The thing I would recommend you consider is how you're placing things on your page. Composition is how you fill your space and the relations between the various elements and the spaces between. What you want to consider is what you want to show. If you're showing the branches with the flowers, you may want to have the blossoms fill the page more rather than have so much open space below -- unless you are reserving that for text or something. If you are planning to use text, then you want to compose your design with that in place, or at least have a way to visualize where it will go.

If you want to learn more about composition, I would recommend that you seek out what photographers have to say about it because when artist's talk about composition, they have to take in many other considerations and usually fall back on old paintings, which you may not find relevant to what you're doing. And they do not usually talk about composition until after people learn to paint objects. But photographers look at composition immediately upon picking up your first camera because all you really need to do is to find a subject and frame it well.

Another word for composition if you're looking around for the subject in the art world is 'Design', although that covers many areas and not just for people trying to show how the world looks. Design goes anywhere from creating a functional thing like a set of dishes or television set all the way to decorating a room. But it also covers how things are placed on a page. And if you can narrow the discussion down to that specifically, you will definitely be able to learn something from artists' composition. But again, going to photographers will take you immediately to what I'm talking about.

There are lots of composition sensibilities and it becomes very personal. So my commenting on your picture specifically would not be useful. I could only tell you how I might compose it differently. But there are thousands of other ways to do it which are equally valid. The composition usually has to work with a style of painting. They're linked and one often dictates to the other in order to get the artist's vision onto the canvas.

An example of how composition relates to the style: If you crop in closer to the blossoms in order to feature them, you may then have a thought to showing the shape of the blossoms more in keeping with the actual flower. And then the shapes might suggest how you make the background more interesting to echo the sweep of the branch, and the sweep of the blossom. These are a couple design ideas where you take shapes and explore them throughout the picture. Hope this helps. And if it makes no sense to you yet, it will become apparent as you explore the direction more and you are playing with more of the concepts artists play with.

Good hunting. And as always, have fun with it. It's not a hard academic subject (unless you like hard academic study). The searching can set you on a path of discovery in which you draw things to yourself that are exciting and new. You will become like a kid in a candy store. I still am to this day on a path and I still feel as excited about new discoveries as I did when I was first learning art. It can be most fulfilling to discover the hidden designs in nature. And if they aren't there, you are permitted and even encouraged to improve on them.

You're doing great. And it's nice to see you're open to new ideas. Always healthy for an artist.
    Last edited by D Akey; 02-09-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Sir, indeed valid points. Possibly flowers could have been brought closer to the foreground or more such flowers could have been brought in the frame. Possibly I got carried away by the beauty of these flowers, it's sheer delight to watch the skyline peppered with these red dots atop tall trees with hardly any foliage. Nonetheless, my work is worth your comments, and that's quite heartening. Thanks sir again.

I love the vibrant colors!
    Especially in this last piece, where your composition is bold too, which is consistant with your bold strong colors.

It's very pleasant already, and I'm looking forward to see more as you evolve in your explorations. D Akey's generous pointers might assist in sparking more discoveries (I'm gonna profit from those pointers too!)