Page 11 of 122 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

Beautiful balance of colour and texture. Nice work. Keep 'em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Delofasht View Post
    Really excellent job on those rocks!

The highlights on the rocks read very well, some of that could be translated to the foreground trees as well, giving them more form will in turn make the entire image feel more unified, I would very sparsely highlight a few leaves in the 2 closest trees at the very tops and to the left or darken the value of the two trees very subtly except in very select areas. Also the saturation of your background and midground elements are very similar which is flattening the image a bit, the size of the trees tells us there is a difference in space, but their actual value (how light or dark) and saturation (how intense the color seems to be) are so close to the same that it's hard for the eye to tell the difference between the two spaces.

Still though, wow those rocks!

Sorry I don't have much for you on the raindrops, macro paintings are a bit more difficult to make in my opinion as we can't just use atmosphere and value and saturation tricks to create space, it's all reflection and distortion of color and light from the raindrops and that's so tricky both to paint from reference or imagination that I couldn't begin to try to explain it.

Edit: I realize this is actually a lot of information, if you'd like I can post a paint over with the changes made, and even the individual layers if you'd like to know how to do it in the future to images you've already made.

- Delo
    Sir, thanks for the suggestions, please do take time to redo and post the image. Am a keen learner!

Quote Originally Posted by Big-G View Post
    Beautiful balance of colour and texture. Nice work. Keep 'em coming.
    Thanks, sir for your observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Drskmishra View Post
    Sir, thanks for the suggestions, please do take time to redo and post the image. Am a keen learner!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drskmishra.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	283.8 KB 
ID:	86163

Full .ptg with Layers

There you go, only 10 minutes worth of all in Digital techniques used to give you and idea of what you could do. I didn't make a script of the changes but now that I think about it. . . that could be quite useful, maybe next time. I didn't spend too long making these changes, and I would consider applying these by hand with direct color choices as it will get a much more natural look than what I have done here, this looks a bit digital for my tastes in my work, but it gives provides a clearer understanding of what my terms are referring to and where very easily.

The full .ptg is available above for download showing all my layers and their individual effect they have on the base painting and why they work. Each one is set to a mode designed to remove saturation or lightness (value), or tint colors and values while retaining the value relationships (soft light). These aren't the only layer modes that can achieve these kinds of effects just the ones I like to use, I hope it proves useful for study. Also, if you have any questions regarding what a layer is doing or why feel free to ask.

Edit: It's shared through my google drive, anyone should be able to download the image from there just by opening the link and hitting download. I'm not sure if it's compatible with iPad version of ArtRage, when I get my iPad back from my wife I'll check.

- Delo
    Last edited by Delofasht; 04-13-2015 at 04:26 AM.

Sir, that was amazing. It sure will improve my techniques vastly as I can see it. Tried downloading the full layer ptg to understand but couldn't. Can you explain it further, I am on iPad artRage 3 and have no access on desktop artrage 4 version.

I will have to check again to make sure the file is sharing properly, but it may not work in the iPad version I haven't checked as I use the desktop version. The iPad version doesn't have layer blending modes I do not think, so the effect I have produced would have to painted in manually which might take more time and effort than it is worth to be honest but you can use the layers in the iPad version to keep your different spatial elements separate. Putting the background on its own layer will allow you to paint over it with less saturated colors nearer the end by going back to that layer and just painting over it, the workflow is a bit different.

When working in as traditional a method as I can I try to keep stuff further in the background at a very low saturation and value, (basically closer to white and less color while tinged slightly blue for outdoor daytime paintings) and as I paint more elements that get closer with more saturation and value (getting darker and more vivid in color). There is a lot of reading I could recommend for improving but the one book I suggest everyone read is Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis. It is an old book that has tons of amazing information and is eloquently packed from cover to cover with knowledge that was as true 60 years, or more, ago as it is now.

When I get back to my desktop I will ensure the .ptg is available by following the link, though I honestly have no clue if it will work with the iPad version or not.

- Delo

I will have to check again to make sure the file is sharing properly, but it may not work in the iPad version I haven't checked as I use the desktop version. The iPad version doesn't have layer blending modes I do not think, so the effect I have produced would have to painted in manually which might take more time and effort than it is worth to be honest but you can use the layers in the iPad version to keep your different spatial elements separate. Putting the background on its own layer will allow you to paint over it with less saturated colors nearer the end by going back to that layer and just painting over it, the workflow is a bit different.

When working in as traditional a method as I can I try to keep stuff further in the background at a very low saturation and value, (basically closer to white and less color while tinged slightly blue for outdoor daytime paintings) and as I paint more elements that get closer with more saturation and value (getting darker and more vivid in color). There is a lot of reading I could recommend for improving but the one book I suggest everyone read is Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis. It is an old book that has tons of amazing information and is eloquently packed from cover to cover with knowledge that was as true 60 years, or more, ago as it is now.

When I get back to my desktop I will ensure the .ptg is available by following the link, though I honestly have no clue if it will work with the iPad version or not.

- Delo
    Thanks for taking pains.

Okay, so the file is openable by iPad ArtRage, and it does have it blend modes, you can change them by opening the layers window and clicking blend mode at the very top! Good stuff. As to it being downloadable, I can download it myself but I can't figure out if others can download it, and on what platforms. . . I notice that I seem unable to download things onto my iPad in just file form from browsers, so I'm not certain how to get this to you. If you have a desktop computer you could download it on there, put it in your own google drive, download google drive on your iPad, and open the file directly into ArtRage from google drive on your iPad, that is how I did it. I changed the permissions to allow this file fully accessible by anyone who can find it (whether by search or the link I provided). That said I'm not sure how I could get it to you otherwise.

Okay, so the file is openable by iPad ArtRage, and it does have it blend modes, you can change them by opening the layers window and clicking blend mode at the very top! Good stuff. As to it being downloadable, I can download it myself but I can't figure out if others can download it, and on what platforms. . . I notice that I seem unable to download things onto my iPad in just file form from browsers, so I'm not certain how to get this to you. If you have a desktop computer you could download it on there, put it in your own google drive, download google drive on your iPad, and open the file directly into ArtRage from google drive on your iPad, that is how I did it. I changed the permissions to allow this file fully accessible by anyone who can find it (whether by search or the link I provided). That said I'm not sure how I could get it to you otherwise.
    Thanks, sir. I just found out blend modes! Let me try them, shall bring out something from it.

Blend modes are quite handy for changing things in your painting without considering it until later, it's how you can edit any of your photos or paintings after having finished without needing to be quite as careful with brush strokes and such. Each mode has various uses, some are much more versatile than others but all have their applications. Good luck and enjoy!

- Delo