Page 52 of 122 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

Sir, thanks for the kind words. Very encouraging words. Have been following your advice through my journey and look forward to it in times to come, so kind of you.
    Lifetime learner

I've bean using art rage for years, and I've never made a tree even close to as good as yours! You inspired me to try harder though! I also taught myself art rage without ever taking a class or anything, so as a peer, I say great job!

So nice of you, Joe! Just keep painting, that's what I did. Artrage is great app and the forum is soooo supportive, I owe my progress to this forum in a large measure.
    Lifetime learner

You followed D Akey's great suggestions very well!

Something I saw somewhere about portraying depth—ah, it's from Alphonso Dunn, who specializes in pen, ink, and watercolor, but has great tips. 6 Ways to Create Depth in Your Drawings

Basically, there are six different visual cues (and more, but these are the six in the video and that I've seen discussed elsewhere): overlap, size (smaller is further away), position (lower reads as closer, higher reads as farther), reducing detail as objects recede, reducing contrast as objects recede, and (if the scene allows it) adding a horizon for visual context (which also helps with positioning to create depth).
    New home page! Ava Jarvis Art and also Art Encouragement Quotes (needs Javascript).

Went through the link you provided, quite a learning. Thanks.
    Lifetime learner

River

Trying to improvise further, suggestions please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	173 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	91397  
    Lifetime learner

Forest

Detailing and highlights, looking for suggestions please.

Views:	193 
Size:	419.8 KB 
ID:	91432  
    Lifetime learner

Seascape

Have tried to work on froth.

Views:	166 
Size:	367.9 KB 
ID:	91512  
    Lifetime learner

Trees

Learning to do foliage

Views:	194 
Size:	386.0 KB 
ID:	91606  
    Lifetime learner

Very good! Keep going. You could even push the distinction between the trees through the concept of lighting. By having a shadow side and a light side. So if you wanted to add the additional element of lighting, you could emphasize form.

If you think of a relief sculpture plaque or sign or a door or trophy or something like that, you could see by having all the light behind your head as you look at it, not casting any shadows, it flattens out. Then if you hold the light off at a 3/4 angle, you create shadows. And as you move that light around it makes for different relationships between the light and shadow. You have each tree separating from the other trees and that's great. But now it's about each tree having it's own story about volume. Keep going with what you're doing. It's good. But perhaps add a little shape to each tree within itself.

You can perhaps think in those terms with your forested areas. You have plenty of detail or texture. But it's handled similarly, where there is nothing that stands out as more important. That's a very democratic approach, but a little bit of a hierarchy could serve the whole picture.

The water looks nice. And you're really moving along with everything. Good jobs!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream