Page 95 of 122 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

I like the vegetation and sky quite lot. The plants and trees are airy and the colors are integrated nicely. I also like the variety of marks, differentiating the kinds plants.

I also very much like how you brought some of the warms from the trees into the clouds. This is successful on two points -- the colors relate to other parts of the painting reinforcing the idea of what they call "golden hour" or "golden time" which essentially is when the sun is low or even just gone and there's a warmth to everything. Plus it gives more variety to the brushwork.

And that's one of the outstanding parts of this one -- the brushwork is more varied and interesting, your color choices are good and they seem to breathe the same atmosphere.

As to the water, I think you have the right idea, but unless it's very windy the water wouldn't be quite so choppy. Even so, your marks look like dry drawing marks sitting on the water a little like a hair net on one's hair. The character of the marks are different than the moist wet-into-wet feel of the rest of the painting and are drawing attention to that difference, apart from the feeling that this is a unified vision. It's almost like you have two paintings happening -- above and below the shore. One possible way to solve that is to do so with more color mixing and including more intermediate steps and not just jumping in values so abruptly, except for in special cases where that's appropriate. It isn't just the mechanical limits of the brushes because you have done some great brushwork in this one.

But having said that, above the water is remarkably well-painted and whatever you did there, if you can do it in future paintings it's a very powerful approach. I really applaud your growing sensitivity to color and where you used the brush more loosely as you've done.

Another huge breakthrough for you.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks for your suggestions sir, the brushwork is getting meaningful and i see it as a great milestone! Learning colours is infinite and I'm on a long journey!
    Lifetime learner

My glasses

Again a quick one, corona lock down impact! Have tried to paint my glasses, reflections and all,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	156 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	98839  
    Lifetime learner

Tea, the Indian style!

Yes, in India we take our tea with whole milk alongwith generous helpings of brown sugar! Corona lock down has forced me to seeing only emergency patients. Have tried to paint it from my own perspective, please have a look and give your suggestions!

Views:	173 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	98847  
    Lifetime learner

Wow!

Painting from real life or a reference is definitely the way to go.

You are capturing what you see quite well here. I love the textures and colors!

The angle of view on the book seems steeper than on the cup which seems steeper still than the angle of view of the saucer. The elliptical shape of the rim of the coffee cup should be mostly the same as the outside edge of the saucer since the physical circular shapes are parallel... and seen from the same relatively distant point of view... in other words these should have the same amount of "elongation" and mostly differ only in terms of size. The cup also does not appear centered in the saucer...

I love your shorthand you use for the book and its pages as well as the abstract impression of writing or text on the paper.

Overall a great painting!

Thanks a lot for your observations, the geometric shapes are difficult to draw on ipad version, even drawing a straight line is a challange! But your suggestions are very helpful, shall try to improve further, thanks again!
    Lifetime learner

Quote Originally Posted by Drskmishra View Post
    Thanks a lot for your observations, the geometric shapes are difficult to draw on ipad version, even drawing a straight line is a challange! But your suggestions are very helpful, shall try to improve further, thanks again!
    I agree. Perspective is an important point.

You mention that it's particularly challenging on an iPad. Possibly so. I don't use one, so I couldn't tell you what to do with that device in particular. However, I would strongly recommend that you start with a drawing on one layer that you will never see in the final painting. It functions like a blueprint for building a house.

The approach is that you can work out the perspective in line before you commit a lot of time to polishing a painting only to find that the angles are wonky. Lines are super quick and easily erased and redrawn and erased and distorted (if the iPad version has those tools) -- you get the idea. Doing the preliminary sketching is that it works roughly at the speed that your mind does. Paintings can be slower (at least until you become very practiced at it, but even then it's slower). Plus a drawing is very clear.

Use a light blue and when you have it you can make a darker mark over it or increase the darkness if you need it. You can also keep it on top of your painting and just hide and reveal it to check how your placement is working compared to the "blueprint".

It's particularly useful for mechanical images like this one.

I like the idea of the tea. Sounds delicious. Keep enjoying! But don't be surprised it the cup becomes empty before you're done. Nice stuff and thank you for your heroic efforts as a medical professional. You're doing a great service for your community. Keep yourself safe so you can help others. Bravo!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks sir, for all the suggestions on drawings and perspective! Shall have to practise more and more i guess. Thanks again sir!
    Lifetime learner

Autumn

Colours of autumn are always refreshing. Have given it another try, shadows, foreground, colours. Any good? Seeking suggestions from all please.

Views:	167 
Size:	339.9 KB 
ID:	98851  
    Lifetime learner

Locked down by corona!

Did a quick sketching today depicting total lock down! Have tried to understand perspective, shading and some idea of the street. Many shortcomimngs, I'm sure! Seek suggestions from all.

Views:	146 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	98855  
    Lifetime learner