Page 42 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

Tree trunk

Have tried to paint the bark and trunk, yes the background is poorly done! Invite suggestions from all please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	160 
Size:	398.2 KB 
ID:	89694  
    Lifetime learner

I would recommend that you maintain the integrity of the overall form and then comes the importance of the texture. Maintain your hierarchy of importance. Don't want to have the tail wag the dog as it were. Think, what are you painting. In this case it's some tubes that have light and shadow. The way you painted it, you're painting the texture of the bark that somewhat has a tree attached to it. So you have to develop some subtlety, unless you are going with a style that is uniquely your own about chopping away with less-considered paint strokes as a sort of exercise in controlled action painting where it becomes more about the painting itself and less about the subject except as a departure point.

And then it comes down to some fundamental questions to ask yourself.

You can explore it out to your own satisfaction. But as you're going, these are neither realistic nor loose enough to quite fit into the world of abstraction. You have to decide where you are heading as an artist. If it's to paint realistically, then get more accurate. If it's to be more expressive, then you might want to get a little more broad and gestural. If you're really wanting to paint like you did when you first started posting your paintings here, with a sort of out of foggy watercolor base with some drawn elements indicating what is the subject, then focus on that style.

I can't say which direction is for you. And trying all different directions is fine too. But you probably want to find where your happiness is, which way to paint, and do that for a time and explore how these different subjects might appear in that style.

I know you can paint what you see. When you were painting water droplets on leaves I think you were getting there. So I'm assuming there is something inside you pulling you to form you images in a certain vocabulary. So enjoy it and see what happens. And if it becomes unsatisfying, then you can push into a different arena. But until that time, see what comes from what you're doing rather than anticipating what you should be doing. . . until the time that becomes important. But looking back at what you've done as a group of paintings tells a lot more than trying to mentally anticipate where you're going, at least until you have some solid foundation you're happy with building off of.

And as a side comment, if you're not wanting us to consider the background, don't put it in. Perhaps paint a vignette or against a simple color as an exercise and then really get in there and paint the heck out of the subject. It would surely simplify things for you.

Have fun.
    Last edited by D Akey; 05-03-2016 at 04:25 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Sir, you're right, it does look rather harsh and stand alone. The tree is in my front yard and I've been wanting to do it for some time. You've been closely watching my journey and I know I've got a long way to go before I can paint with some meaning or style! Thanks for your invaluable suggestions which I have always benefitted from. Look forward to more of these. Thanks again.
    Lifetime learner

Don't get discouraged whatever you do regardless of how I sound in my comments. They're always meant to help to see as a lead in to the next steps and choices you have. Anybody that's learning has the learning curve to experience. What's very good about your approach is that you are experiencing painting every time. And all that experience will add to your stock of skill. As a result, I suspect very strongly that you're going to be an excellent artist where you will be able to blend your inner and outer experience on canvas.

There is a wonderful quote by Nelson Mandela that I came across a couple days ago on Facebook that I love and take to heart for myself. You may enjoy it as well. I love it because this describes the Art process from a very high place, and can be applied to any aspect of life.

Name:	Nelson Mandela quote.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	89698  
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Discouraged, no way. I'm a late starter and I know my limits, which is why I need guidance from you all. Winning, not sure but I'm learning with every painting for sure! Thanks sir for the beautiful quote.
    Lifetime learner

Seascape

Working on seascape, have tried to make it better, inviting suggestions from all please.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	89789  
    Lifetime learner

Much, much better. Good shape to the wave. Gives it a strong focal point. Yeah, very much you're getting it! Your details are all working to the desired end. Love the variety of colors and shapes.

This one is a really powerful wave with the right shape, colors and transparencies where light get through its liquid veil.
    An exceptional improvement indeed!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thanks, sir. It helps to receive encouraging words from seasoned artists, shall keep improving on my work.
    Lifetime learner