Page 80 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

I would try to render everything as you see it in the source, exactly as it appears in the photo so that your end result looks like the photo. You will learn a whole lot doing that once or twice even if you don't plan on working like that in future. You will get a very intimate look at how glass works that way. Once you have done that, you will hopefully be able to transfer/translate that sensibility to whatever style you're ultimately doing.

But in yours now I like the contrast you have put into the whole -- strong lights and strong contrasting darks in the upper part of the glass. The base loses some of the transparency and reflective quality. But I do like your richness.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Sir, I have been observing hundreds of paintings and objects for light effects, refractions and reflections. Seems to have worked! Thanks for your suggestions!
    Lifetime learner

Still life, flower vase

Have given it a try again, light reflecting from vase, shadows and all. Any better? Seek suggestions from all please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	149 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	97659  
    Lifetime learner

We're getting into an area where they've all got good stuff happening. I think this one is very successful. Nice painterly flow to the paint and the colors are more complex, juxtaposing and making it more interesting to look at (in my opinion).

Impressive expansion into painting. You're like a juggler who is now keeping more balls in the air at the same time. Good going!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks for all the encouraging words sir! I have been observing hundreds and hundreds of paintings. Hope to learn and do better!
    Lifetime learner

Lovely colours and feel to this. I like it a lot.

Very nice, so many realistic effects!

Since you asked for suggestions... I suggest toning down the diffuse lighting on the vase and shifting its color slightly. It might only be a VERY subtle shift lower in intensity and possibly toward the color of the vase.

The light directly coming from the table to the viewer should appear brighter and more intense than the diffuse light from the table bouncing off the vase (since bounced light is almost always slightly less intense than direct light... unless you are dealing with a mirror), also the color of the diffusely lit part of the vase can be subtly shifted toward the color of the vase itself. This is because the light we see from the vase is the result of the diffuse light from the table (intense orange-brown) illuminating the vase which has it own color (beige). Since the vase is beige which is very close to white, this shift might not even be noticeable, and hence is optional, a mere lowering of intensity should suffice. (Technically its more complicated than a shift... but a shift often suffices)

As a "cheat", you could create a new layer on top, and re-paint the portions of the vase where there is diffuse lighting from the table all the while pretending the table was not there to reflect the light. This in effect is like having a version with no lighting from the table illuminating the vase. Then slide the opacity of that top layer all the way down to 0 (giving you your original painting as the starting point) and start increasing the opacity (like turning down the lighting effect from your table) until you have the right amount of reduction in lighting from the table... i.e. the level of lighting you want (which could be chosen based on realism or simply your taste).

Very glad to hear and see you are observing reality with care... the results clearly show it is paying off!

Cheers!
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 06-13-2019 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks for all the fine points suggested! As I always say this forum has helped me no end in learning the basics of painting! In this case I was taking the vase as highly reflective thereby causing glare of red colour to the viewer, but obviously I've got a long way to go! Thanks for telling me the nuances in such detail!
    Lifetime learner

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Lovely colours and feel to this. I like it a lot.
    Thanks so much Dave, great to see you taking interest in my efforts! Just one point, a fan brush for my landscapes, it'll help me a lot! Thanks again!
    Lifetime learner

Quote Originally Posted by Drskmishra View Post
    Thanks for all the fine points suggested! As I always say this forum has helped me no end in learning the basics of painting! In this case I was taking the vase as highly reflective thereby causing glare of red colour to the viewer, but obviously I've got a long way to go! Thanks for telling me the nuances in such detail!
    Ah! If the vase is more or less silvery like a textured mirror then I suggest making the bright beige spot on the right match better the grey background and the shadowy part of the table (the darkness in the bottom right should be reflected)...

very good vase ! You should be proud!