Page 74 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

I really love the colors throughout the rocks especially. Nice inclusion of additional color for interest -- something to appreciate for the viewer and it adds life. I think perhaps some of it is that it's an invitation to linger and the artist's eye or mind's eye view is more varied and thus complex. When the subject is very simple, I think every little nuance is a big deal because there are so few marks. When one has a more complex image all the bits tend to fuse into a whole -- something that doesn't usually do that with one mark. Here in this one there's a natural hierarchy and relationship as if you were stepping over the stones or wandering around the pond's edge. There's the color relationships, the marks with the brush, and all the diverse elements happening plus there's the story from the subject. It's way more active and participatory -- leastwise to a painter.

There is a school of art, Japanese do it a lot, where it's deliberately simplified to allow one to explore the shapes and values in a simple subject like a flower bloom and perhaps a stem and vase. The target of those is most frequently inviting people to flow with the serenity of the pattern or shape. It's more meditative and elegant, like a haiku poem. Every little bit is potentially a springboard into something far more grand and expansive. The challenge is that when such an image is presented and there are flaws or there is crudeness in any way, the crudeness or flaws take center stage and becomes too self conscious.

So this painting you did of the pond works with your style better -- at least in my opinion -- Just feedback for what it's worth about the form and selections one makes as an image creator -- how it comes across after you put your brushes down.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Sir, you got it right! I tried reflections on the rocks with different bites and colours. Have been observing shadows and reflections in paintings for some time and trying to learn! Looks like I'm on track, thanks for your observations, please keep guiding me!
    Lifetime learner

Rose

Painted this rose again, shadows and petals. Looking forward to suggestions please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	149 
Size:	284.5 KB 
ID:	97337  
    Lifetime learner

Nice forms. Interesting use of the tooth of the canvas.

You're going to soon be making the flowers blush from the flattery.

Suggestion is that you may want to use some more color in the flower. You have it in the background and it raises the question why there's no particular color work in the subject and more in the background. It looks a little like 2 different paintings in one. Just a thought.
    Last edited by D Akey; 02-25-2019 at 09:07 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Sir, you got it right! Even I was thinking the same at the end! I know, I need to be more patient (as I am with my patients) Thanks for your observation!
    Last edited by Drskmishra; 02-26-2019 at 06:07 PM.

I'm thinking that you are very close. You can add colors on to what you have. You have a very good foundation. Many painters start with an under-painting in an earth tone like sepia or raw sienna or burnt sienna or blue. Anyway, the point is that they use that to get their values worked out and then they start putting in colors that match the exact values of the foundation under-painting. So with what you have already done, you can use a copy as the under-painting. Then you can put in an accent color here and there, or you can push one portion to a harmonious color, and in the end you could have a very vital painting.

Don't just stop. You will learn a whole lot about the power of accent colors, and every other color in relation that you put down atop this. Remember, you can undo anything you put down. You can hide and reveal layers on which you try stuff out. It's never been easier to explore color.

Anyway, don't give up on this one.

Sure sir, shall definitely give it a try! Thanks for the idea!
    Lifetime learner

Encuentro esta obra excelente!!! Admiro las texturas de los pétalos, el colorido sutil, ….etc... Muy bien!
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Autumn

Thanks sir. Have given the autumn landscape another try, looking forward to suggestions from all please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	189 
Size:	279.5 KB 
ID:	97371  
    Lifetime learner

I don't recall the former painting right off the bat, but this looks like you have some very cool variations of color and brush movement happening. Makes for a very interesting painting because the viewer can wander around in it for a time and feel dimension, not to mention the interest of the artists in it. So I'm quite liking all the flavors.

Good stuff.