Page 70 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

Another landscape

Been learning to refine shadows colors, looking forward to more suggestions from all please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	190 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	96251  
    Lifetime learner

Brother, you're getting good. Keep up the investigations. Apparently the experimenting is paying off very well indeed. I love your choice of what to keep out of definition as an underpainting and then how selective you are with the details. It implies a fuller range of things happening without it seemingly overly like a quick technique or painted with weak understanding. You feel much more masterful.

You've taken that quick style painting well up to the next level of artistic expression, I think. And exploring it will lead you on to some amazing paintings.

What I particularly see this style serving you with is that it retains the dreamlike quality with enough information to experience it as the viewer, while it doesn't overly stress your needing to render more and more stuff in a realistic way. In doing it this way it takes the comparison with how it should look out of the equation. You are the artist now saying what you want to say.

There will be further challenges for you as you grow this style out to include other kinds of settings, but this is a good solid plateau that is at a very nice altitude. Good stuff! You should be very pleased with your efforts.

Oh, just a comment about what is working so well -- your values are not popping and your details sit comfortably in the same space as the tones. So it holds its position is space very well. So what that boils down to is that the leaves that you did paint, for example, look like they make up the surrounding area that is out of focus. That takes clarity on your part to do. You see how it makes sense in the context of each area. There's a relationship that doesn't cause the viewer to jolt. It's a nice smooth progression throughout. Keep that trick in the back of your head when painting. If you explore it you will be able to include more contrast overall if you decide you want to and it will minimize the jarring of sudden hard edge spottyness. But like I said, dreamlike. . . It's easy and graceful.
    Last edited by D Akey; 10-18-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Sir thanks for all those kind words spoken for me, can't believe, I am as good as you are talking about! Thanks so much for being so supportive, let me see how I can improve further from here!
    Lifetime learner

Very, very well done.

It's not my place to give advice, and the way you are going I do not see any current need for it, but someday you might find your improved technique and well of imagination could use an infusion from studying reality. Get out and look at trees, rocks, ponds, mountains, rivers, meadows etc. intently and patiently study them to fill your store of references and provide inspiration. I understand you mostly paint from imagination, that's great, especially for your important original works, but there is nothing wrong with painting a few pieces once in a while purely as practice, "studies" if you will. Find some landscape or natural references you find inspiring and try to reproduce them using your improved techniques... this will further reinforce your ability to imagine and paint realistic scenes when you don't have a reference in front of you.

Your journey is inspiring. Looking forward to these as always.

Your advice well taken sir! I know it's a long journey and there are no short cuts! Suggestions such as those from learned artists like you mean a lot to me, thanks sir, for your kind words.
    Lifetime learner

Quote Originally Posted by Drskmishra View Post
    Your advice well taken sir! I know it's a long journey and there are no short cuts! Suggestions such as those from learned artists like you mean a lot to me, thanks sir, for your kind words.
    Thank you for the very kind words, but I am nowhere close to a "learned artist"... at most I'm a dabbler who takes things too seriously and paints much less than I would like.

Landscape

Not very spectacular, just learning to do colours, shadows and details. Seeking suggestions from all please.

Views:	178 
Size:	287.7 KB 
ID:	96388  
    Lifetime learner

Feels like you're rooting you skills now with confidence. I very much like the interplay of colors in this one. The value control keeps them where they belong and related. Good one. You may turn into a painterly painter as you seem to be zeroing in on that kind of brush style. Who knows where it will lead. Wonderful and most satisfying to you I should think.
    Last edited by D Akey; 10-31-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

ConfIdence, yes sir, that's what I'm trying to build. Let me see how I can improve further, thanks again sir for all your support!
    Lifetime learner

Mountains again

Learning gradually, trying to see larger picture. Seeking suggestions from all please.

Views:	148 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	96453  
    Lifetime learner