Page 63 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

Sir, thanks for encouraging me!
    Lifetime learner

It's a lovely setting for a get away, floating with someone without a care in the world.

As to the painting, I believe I can say looking at your body of work that you have a language of marks and you describe things using that vocabulary. It is as if you are examining a body cell by cell as if on slides under a microscope. It's as if you look at each component and because you're aimed at trouble shooting, it becomes as important as the ones before and the next and the next. I think it's the diagnostician in you. And that gives your work a distinct appearance that many others who do not scrutinize the body the same way do.
    So when you paint leaves on trees you paint leaf by leaf. And it's harder for you to see groupings as a mass and a painting as a group of masses. So far it's as if that kind of thinking is counter indicated.

I think I would consider looking at masses in your paintings more as whole systems that are healthy rather than cells that might be hiding an infection.

When I was in school I had painting teachers who would say to use the biggest brush you could use to get the look you wanted. I don't say to you to not use small brushes, but as an exercise, I would try painting with different sizes with no attention to detail whatsoever and train your eye to block in shapes. And from there you can subdivide, but only to a point.

This is another way of painting that might free you up. I realize your paint strokes are like footsteps on a walk through the forest or whatever. And that can be okay as a painter's experience - as their personal holiday. And painting differently might ruin that quality of getting away from all the cares of the world for a time. You have to weigh it for yourself.

With the painting style you have it's hard to pick a mark and say changing it would change the overall effect. Nor do I know that you would want to. I'm not sure what kind of challenges you would welcome. I would first say that as a starter you may want to start picking reference photos that have strong, simple compositions, with very clear areas of light and dark. And in your mind look at it as a map or structure upon which once established you can detail as much as you like -- only maintaining the integrity of the lights and darks as a primary goal. Think hierarchy of importance.

Anyway, that's just a suggestion because you asked for suggestions. I also see value in vacations either as a get away to relax or as a time to take on a challenge to see new things and have new experiences. Both work.
    Last edited by D Akey; 06-07-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    It's a lovely setting for a get away, floating with someone without a care in the world.

As to the painting, I believe I can say looking at your body of work that you have a language of marks and you describe things using that vocabulary. It is as if you are examining a body cell by cell as if on slides under a microscope. It's as if you look at each component and because you're aimed at trouble shooting, it becomes as important as the ones before and the next and the next. I think it's the diagnostician in you. And that gives your work a distinct appearance that many others who do not scrutinize the body the same way do.
    So when you paint leaves on trees you paint leaf by leaf. And it's harder for you to see groupings as a mass and a painting as a group of masses. So far it's as if that kind of thinking is counter indicated.

I think I would consider looking at masses in your paintings more as whole systems that are healthy rather than cells that might be hiding an infection.

When I was in school I had painting teachers who would say to use the biggest brush you could use to get the look you wanted. I don't say to you to not use small brushes, but as an exercise, I would try painting with different sizes with no attention to detail whatsoever and train your eye to block in shapes. And from there you can subdivide, but only to a point.

This is another way of painting that might free you up. I realize your paint strokes are like footsteps on a walk through the forest or whatever. And that can be okay as a painter's experience - as their personal holiday. And painting differently might ruin that quality of getting away from all the cares of the world for a time. You have to weigh it for yourself.

With the painting style you have it's hard to pick a mark and say changing it would change the overall effect. Nor do I know that you would want to. I'm not sure what kind of challenges you would welcome. I would first say that as a starter you may want to start picking reference photos that have strong, simple compositions, with very clear areas of light and dark. And in your mind look at it as a map or structure upon which once established you can detail as much as you like -- only maintaining the integrity of the lights and darks as a primary goal. Think hierarchy of importance.

Anyway, that's just a suggestion because you asked for suggestions. I also see value in vacations either as a get away to relax or as a time to take on a challenge to see new things and have new experiences. Both work.
    Sir, your suggestions have always work wonders for me, I'm still evolving, with no particular style of my own. In fact I am miles away from anything like that! Blocking areas, not detailing everything, learning correct perspectives... List is endless! Long way to go, but with help from learned people like you, I sure can keep working! Thanks again sir, shall continue learning!
    Lifetime learner

Great thread! I especially like your recent seascape. Striking colours, very dramatic!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Great thread! I especially like your recent seascape. Striking colours, very dramatic!
    Good to see the admin taking interest in my works, thanks Dave for encouraging me! I'm using iPad version and am very satisfied with it. Good work, great app!
    Lifetime learner

Sunset

Have tried it out, beach, rocks and all. Suggestions from all please
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	189 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	95348  
    Lifetime learner

Wow! Those colors really portray the experience as hyper-real. It's as if I feel an amplified sensation of the magnificence of the beauty that can be available in special natural displays . I am on the West Coast and have spent a goodly amount of time at the beach and around sunset time the shift from the acceleration of the day into the relaxation of the evening really seems to be connected to the colors that one often sees in the sunset over the ocean. With this painting I can almost hear the sounds of the water which usually relaxes around this time as well. I really love this painting. Well done. You communicated far more than a photograph could. In this painting I actually feel the experience rather than have the experience referred to me. Bravo.
    Last edited by D Akey; 06-15-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks a million for your kind words sir! Have been adding some form of life every time now as per your suggestion. I too spend a great deal of time on beaches of Sydney, fascinated by water and waves! Every time you learn a thing or two about water! Thanks again sir.
    Lifetime learner

Crashing waves,again

Have tried to do some details on water, not perfect though. Suggestions from all please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	191 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	95420  
    Lifetime learner

The water is excellent! Keep plugging and this one will come out really well.

That one little splash of paint at the skyline bugs me. Only thing I see!
    Robert Hopkins