Page 14 of 122 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Drskmishra

Quote Originally Posted by Drskmishra View Post
    Thanks, sir for the elaborate procedure and demo. Good learning for me.
    No really, thank you, it's been a huge learning for me as well. I really hadn't fully comprehended it myself until after breaking this down, something about seeing the values and saturation shifts and specifically those saturated oranges on the foreground tree pop when the changes took effect that some new correlations suddenly clicked. I owe ya one!

I really enjoy your style. Your paintings always feel very close to the trees - and I love trees .

After some gap, back again with a rainy afternoon on street. Have tried this as a maiden attempt, all by my imagination. The sketch could have been better, looks somewhat cluttered. How do you work on reflections? Merging layers is painful on iPad version, just as you can't use stickers here. Request all to evaluate and guide for the next one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	257.0 KB 
ID:	86427  

Quote Originally Posted by vandra View Post
    I really enjoy your style. Your paintings always feel very close to the trees - and I love trees .
    Thanks for the encouragement.

It is very impressive for not having a reference. You ask how to do reflections, all I can say is consider observation as a method. Without a visual reference you're limiting yourself to what you already know.

There are countless ways to do reflections, each depending on surface materials and contours, light, colors, and technique. It's like asking how to paint water or animals. It's too big a category to have anything to work with.

Again, I have to suggest that you find something to look at and look at it, and try to process what you're seeing. Look at paintings that other people have done and observe what they're doing. Look at photographs and see what life presents.

I can see in your painting that you are trying to do reflections already as you would in painting a lake using a generic formula. It works to a certain degree, as I can see what you're trying to do. There's thinking there. But the forms are still vague.

Anyway, overall, there's some stuff in this that's pretty cool. What your imagination lacks in visual specifics, it makes up for in ideas. This is almost like a dream where you flesh out the idea mentally compensating for what's not there. One can't always count on other people being able to do it as they look at your paintings.

If you're going to continue to paint this way, which is fine, and certainly interesting as something to explore, you'll have to start taking into consideration things that make paintings interesting in a somewhat abstract way, almost as non-subjective, and work things like compositions and values and balance and those kind of things that are beyond subject.

And in this way, you may find yourself creating a uniquely personal style, which is something that many artists seek to do. You're already there in a way, and it seems as if you're drawn to a personal methodology by something inside you. I think that's very exciting. And like I say, some artists have to work really hard to hear that voice. And you have it from the beginning. People can teach you how to paint like themselves and in that case you run the risk of losing that particular personal voice.

What you have is something to consider the value of for you. The only thing lost that way would be that people may not be able to guide you. But you can be appreciated and encouraged. And you can always modify your approach at any point that it seems it's not doing what you want it to. Or you may find that it's perfect for you and that developing in that direction is the only thing that feels right. So that's your call and what being an artist is all about.

Let's listen to what others have to say as well. This post is merely one person's opinion.

Go go go!!!!!!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Oh, thanks a lot sir, your kind words always pep me up. And one thing for sure, I enjoy painting. Just keep guiding me through, thanks again.

This is very nice, I like the atmosphere of it and it looks like you are starting to incorporate more atmospheric effect of luminance and saturation control in your background to foreground elements, bringing more detail and vibrancy to the foreground elements than background. All this from your imagination is quite a feat to be honest, and I think there is much to be learned from drawing and painting from imagination.

I would consider taking this painting further, a painting doesn't always have to be completed in one sitting, I spend several sessions with my work to get the result I'm looking for. Perhaps putting up a new layer above everything and redefining and enhancing some elements. As an example of how to better understand reflections try putting a mirror on the table in front of you then put a cup on the mirror, pay close attention to how the reflection of the cup and try to note how the reflection is working and why. It can be difficult to understand the why the reflection works that way but once you do you can start to imagine what would be reflected and how it would look. Good luck here, this is never easy and I'm actually about to start tackling that exact subject matter in my painting later today (finally getting over a cold that made it hard to think about such things).

Very good job on this urban painting from imagination, it's challenging and exciting subject matter. I really like the bright blue sign, almost looks like it's glowing.

Every day that passes I like more your paintings!
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Thanks a million, both of you, for having had a look on my work. My dining table has a glass top and I already can appreciate much of reflection from tumblers, fruit basket etc after your suggestion. Also, have been observing lot of paintings to understand things. Shall try to do better next time.

Here's another one, have tried to work on reflection after some understanding. Any better this time? Suggestions please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	86435