ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Canvas colour does not switch back to white 4.5.3

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor

Canvas colour does not switch back to white 4.5.3

Is this a bug or am I not doing it correctly. If I choose a new canvas and change the canvas settings to a black wool paper for example. Then I choose a new canvas again and select a white paper, the canvas does not change. I have to exit the program in order for the canvas to work correctly. See the video.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

I believe what's happening is that the program is loading a "Pattern" image that coats the "Grain" being used with another texture (in this case, a black wool texture). So the color being applied is the color of the texture itself, not an applied color on the canvas itself. After you've selected it, and then opted to create a new canvas, you selected a preset that doesn't include a Pattern image, so ArtRage doesn't seem to know to remove the Pattern. So the grain changes, as does the color, but you can't see it because it's hidden by the Pattern texture that isn't being removed. I'm not sure, but I doubt it's supposed to be ignoring the change. At the very least, it is somewhat confusing. Anyway, to remove the Pattern texture over the canvas, click the option that reads "Canvas Settings" at the top of the list (seen on the menu at the 27 second point of your video). It opens the Canvas Settings panel, where you'll find the Pattern texture feature at lower right. Opening the menu for the Pattern Texture and you'll find an option to "Clear Item", which will remove the texture.

So... it could be an oversight, where ArtRage is neglecting to update the pattern to use nothing at all, when a preset with no pattern on it is selected. Or, it might be that the preset, itself, is old and doesn't hold the data it needs to tell the newer version of ArtRage that it should clear out the pattern. Or, it's actually an expected behavior, of sorts, because technically, I think that area is meant for selecting only the canvas "grain", and only adds the pattern in, because the presets happen to have them available. Confusing as that may be...
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks Someonesane,

For some reason I don't have access to the "clear default canvas" option. It is grayed out. So, I have to goto canvas settings>reset canvas color>choose a white colour>accept settings>close the requestor>restart the program.

It should not be this convoluted. It is not a terrible flaw, but unfortunately I have to mention it in my training course.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

SomeoneSane's correct; the pattern and the canvas are loaded separately, so unless you change them, it will carry over its existing values.

However, choosing a new default canvas should clear it automatically. We've added this into our list of bugs and will fix it in a future release (Black Wool just happens to be one of the rare canvases that also includes a pattern on top of the texture, so it wouldn't come up much - we weren't aware of this issue until you reported it.).

For now:

You should be able to easily clear the existing pattern by:

1. Clicking on the canvas preview in the New Canvas window (or opening the Canvas Settings panel later, though that's a longer way around)

2. Going to 'Pattern' and choosing "Clear Item"

Name:  clear pattern.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  91.9 KB
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Update: We've fixed this bug and it will be available in an update this week (version 4.5.4)

Hi Hannah,

I think I should note that using the "Clear Item" option in step 2, might not work for everyone. Visually, the pattern is momentarily removed from the canvas, but if you complete the steps of creating the New Painting you'll find (at least I did) that the program decides to revert back to displaying the pattern overlay. The option I was left with, was to go to View → Canvas Settings → Pattern → Clear Item. I've never actually run into this problem before, because my normal workflow has me opening ArtRage with a predefined canvas size and type. When I do opt to change things, I pretty much always use the View → Canvas Settings routine.

Anyhow, here's a video showing the bug as I see it, as well as the workaround I use to remove the pattern.

Video Link

Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Hi Hannah,

I think I should note that using the "Clear Item" option in step 2, might not work for everyone. Visually, the pattern is momentarily removed from the canvas, but if you complete the steps of creating the New Painting you'll find (at least I did) that the program decides to revert back to displaying the pattern overlay.
    It seems to be 'only if you leave the preset on', so it's overriding your later changes. But if you change the default canvas *as well*, then clearing it sticks. But yeah, it's definitely not supposed to work like that. Thanks for the extra info, and in the short term, I can recommend 'staying away from Black Wool (and few other Decorative presets)' for a few days until we bring out the update. (Isn't that a great solution? "It doesn't work right" "Don't use that bit then". I should implement it for all my tech support... )

You all are great. Appreciate the replies. Love the program.