ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Complete beginner

Complete beginner

Not only ArtRage, but painting.

How do you suggest I go abotu learning to paint? Take a course? I'm not sure I have time or money for that.

Or does anyone know some good online resources or books to get me started?

I havent really painted since I was a child playing with water colours. But I have never tried Oil paints!

Hiya, welcome to the forums!

You might find something useful here:
    http://del.icio.us/justG/edu+painting
    http://handprint.com/HP/WCL/water.html

Hope that helps.

Hello Jono-60 and welcome. My advice is, have a bit of fun and just play around with the artrage tools. Use pictures as a reference and just experiment with painting what you see. You will be suprised at what you can achieve with a bit of practice. Theres a lot of free advice out there on the net too, so it doesnt need to cost anything, which is cool. Good luck and enjoy.

all the best
    anickyst

Hi Jono-60 and welcome to the group. There are plenty of free art training sites on the internet. You might check out wetcanvas.com and there are some pretty good videos on youtube.com. Just search for "oil painting" or whatever style you would like to check out. Yhe Bob Ross videos are good for newbies. Just practice and play all you can and you will get there.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Hiya!

Just start pushing paint around.

There are some ways to use reference pics to act as something of an underpainting for yourself, and then you just move the 'emulsion' around some. So while you're making really cool paintings, you can occasionally look at how to do it the old fashioned way. It's a different approach.

Make art first and then figure out how to make art.

The old way of knowing nothing = lousy picture is so yesterday's news and unnecessary, unless you re looking forward to experiencing the suffering artist bit. That can be dramatic and romantic to some, I suppose.

The program makes it easy to get you going and having fun.

Welcome.

Thanks guys.

Looks like I will jsut have to sit down and start messing with paints.

Definitely I think there's a lot of value in playing about. Courses and tips and tricks you can pick up off the forums here can certainly be useful but there's an amazing amount that can be learned just by messing around with the tools and exploring the effects you can get. You can also find some tutorials on places like deviantart.com and wetcanvas.com.

The most important thing in my book is not to get frustrated. Adults especially tend to be more self-critical and thwart themselves by generally being too harsh with their efforts, but if we're prepared to make the mistakes we can certainly learn a lot from them.

I'm -good- at making mistakes! :lol:
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design