ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How did I do it? The Little Mouse method.

How did I do it? The Little Mouse method.

In the Gallery posting "A Little Mouse" there was a question on my method of making the drawing / painting. Here is a short description.

I start with a graphite drawing, on paper or digital. If it is on paper I have to remove the background for transparency. I use Krita (freeware) for this. In Krita, in the Filter menu I use Colours / Colour to Alpha. That removes the white and I save the drawing as a .png with alpha channel (transparency). The png-file is imported to ArtRage. The setup must look like this to work properly:

Name:  overlay.png
Views: 538
Size:  281.8 KB

As you see there is a layer "Background" filled with White, else you can set the Canvas to 100% opacity. Over the background layer is the transparent grayscale drawing. On top there is the Overlay layer, using the Overlay blend mode. That is where I paint. The painting adds colour to the grayscale lines. If some lines are black, no colour is added, they remain black. White remains white. All grayscale graphite drawing, lines and shades, are now colour. That is what I wanted.

Next step: I export the whole painting as a .png file. I import the very same painting a new layer and add a Multiply layer over the imported colour drawing. On that multiply layer I continue to paint.

This is my very basic, but also very efficient method, of adding colour to a graphite drawing.

Name:  multiply.PNG
Views: 499
Size:  367.6 KB

I hope this can be of some inspration and use for you. ( I did not finish the painting, I hope you can see that.)
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 01-10-2015 at 06:06 AM.

thanks for the tutorial Henry.

Very nice explanation. I think I'm going to have to try that method soon.
    Terry Dana Jachimiak II