ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: how does Android ArtRage experience compare to Windows/Wacom?

how does Android ArtRage experience compare to Windows/Wacom?

I'm a new art student, and artist, and have found it remarkably easy to adapt. My medium is a Lenovo X61 tablet, dating to 2008, with a 1400x1050 screen, Windows 7, 8 GB of ram, and a Wacom digitizer integrated into the screen. As a device, it is in the class of "Windows Tablet". It is supported by the Wacom universal driver with pressure sensitivity, but not angle sensing. No glitches; it works well.

I have an Xperia Z tablet, which, unfortunately, came before Sony incorporated a stylus feature. It seems several different digitizer systems are in use with Android tablets, but the Wacom digitizer is available only with their own, very expensive tablet. There have been no reviews or comparisons of the various Android tablet digitizers. So, questions:

1. Can anyone offer a hands-on experience of working with Android tablet digitizers, comparing them to Wacom?

2. By direct comparison, the quad-core processor in my Xperia Z tablet is still much slower than the dual core Intel Penryn CPU of my tablet. How does this impact the responsiveness of ArtRage, or, (since ArtRage is not yet available except for Samsung) of other programs, compared to the Tablet PC experience?

Since I wrote the above, I found this link, which compares Wacom to N-Trig
    http://www.ticktakashi.com/2014/05/w...omparison.html
    and also,
    http://www.howtogeek.com/177376/not-...oth-explained/
    Last edited by notaverygoodartist; 01-05-2015 at 01:54 PM.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 Android tablet and I do believe it has a Wacom digitized screen, I know all of the stylii made for Penabled tablets, (wacom) work perfectly on it.

I haven't done anything but play a bit since I installed ArtRage on it, but from what I can see it is nearly identical to my Windows PC version and works wonderfully. I would expect the same experience with the Note 10.1 2014 edition as well as the new ones to be released soon. I also have a Fujitsu Lifebook, from about the same time as your Lenovo and honestly I prefer the Note. I also have the Note 4 phone and it does have tilt built in and I expect the new Note series tablets to be released this year will as well.

I haven't tried the Wacom Companions to compare, they are just out of my price range, my main workstation is a Win 7 PC and a Wacom Intuos 5 and I am a very very happy camper using the Note Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by notaverygoodartist View Post
    I'm a new art student, and artist, and have found it remarkably easy to adapt. My medium is a Lenovo X61 tablet, dating to 2008, with a 1400x1050 screen, Windows 7, 8 GB of ram, and a Wacom digitizer integrated into the screen. As a device, it is in the class of "Windows Tablet". It is supported by the Wacom universal driver with pressure sensitivity, but not angle sensing. No glitches; it works well.

I have an Xperia Z tablet, which, unfortunately, came before Sony incorporated a stylus feature. It seems several different digitizer systems are in use with Android tablets, but the Wacom digitizer is available only with their own, very expensive tablet. There have been no reviews or comparisons of the various Android tablet digitizers. So, questions:

1. Can anyone offer a hands-on experience of working with Android tablet digitizers, comparing them to Wacom?

2. By direct comparison, the quad-core processor in my Xperia Z tablet is still much slower than the dual core Intel Penryn CPU of my tablet. How does this impact the responsiveness of ArtRage, or, (since ArtRage is not yet available except for Samsung) of other programs, compared to the Tablet PC experience?

Since I wrote the above, I found this link, which compares Wacom to N-Trig
    http://www.ticktakashi.com/2014/05/w...omparison.html
    and also,
    http://www.howtogeek.com/177376/not-...oth-explained/

Thanks for the info.

I went to a BestBuy, and played with the stylus of a Surface Pro 3. As stated elsewhere, the N-Trig digitizer of the Surface Pro 3 requires substantial pressure to "get started." That single characteristic makes it resemble the old resistive screens of the early smartphones, or the signature pad of a credit card payment terminal. I'm sure N-Trig is learnable, but with the difficulties of an unfamiliar art medium. I wouldn't want to bother.

If anyone has had experience with digitizer technology other than Wacom with response that begins with a light touch, please post.