ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushfires in South Australia.

Bushfires in South Australia.

For the last three days bushfires have been raging out of control not far from where I live. We are safe here in our town though the smell of smoke has infiltrated inside even with all doors and windows closed. There are half a dozen water bombers flying over our house back and forth to our local airstrip for refilling with water and chemicals to douse the fires. One has gone over just now.

The weather has been extremely hot and windy making conditions intolerable for the firefighters.

The fires are in an area where there are a lot of small holdings and while some stock have been lost, our local racecourse has become a refuge for horses that have been brought down from the hills. There are also a number of people being looked after in community buildings until they can get back to their homes to see what remains.

Estimates are that over 30 homes have been lost but until the fires are brought under control no one really knows. Fortunately no human lives have been lost but sadly a boarding facility for cats and dogs has been lost along with all the cats and some of the dogs. About 40 dogs were saved and are being looked after at various veterinary clinics.

The weather is cooler today 29C and very little wind - back in the 30's tomorrow and 40C on Wednesday - so hopefully some ground will be gained today. There are a number of little townships still in danger and the fire has got into a large pine forest.

I know bad things are happening all over the world but when it's close to home........
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

It was an awful couple of days, wasn't it June? So nice to get some cooler days, but you obviously have more to bear yet. I think midweek hots up for us again for a day, but not so much as SA.

I keep thinking "Autumn is on it's way, autumn is on it's way ........"

Re: the boarding kennels cattery, what a dreadful event! Imagine all the families on holidays and coming back to that news.

Stay cool June.

It looks like the fires in your state are under control and Victoria and NSW have sent fire crews and a Hercules aircraft to help over here. There are now 18 aircraft in the air. A sad report on the TV news just now - two elderly people missing.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Gee whiz, June. Sounds nasty. Blessings to you all and your land and living creatures of all kinds, and especially the ones fighting the fire. We know all about fires here in the LA area. It being the 'wet' season here, it didn't even occur to me until a moment's rethinking that you are in your dry season, just the opposite of us here. Be well.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

We do get to hear about the fires in your part of the world so I know you are familiar with the destruction these terrible fires wreak on all that lie in their path. I'm happy to report that the missing couple have been found alive and well. Homes can be replaced but not lives. It's now late evening and quite cool now but the winds are very strong and will be fanning the flames. I've opened up the house for some fresh air but alas, it's more smokey than fresh.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

June, so sorry to hear of all the fires and sending good thoughts and prayers that you all are safe

Thank you both - I don't hear the water bombers this morning so that's a good sign even tho the fires are still burning.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

We had a violent thunderstorm with heavy rain last night and this morning, resulting in 95% of the fire front being under control - still weeks of spot fires and cleaning up.

People are gradually being let back to their homes to see what remains. However power has to be restored before it's safe. Still no human lives but sadly a native animal sanctuary and a cat/dog boarding facility were destroyed as well as sheep and wildlife lost.

Over 100 firefighters suffered injuries but none serious. Where would we be without these courageous men and women?

An estimated 32,000 acres burnt in the seven days this fire was out of control. Still some hot spots and new fires from lightning strikes but the worst is over.

This is a cropped version of a photo that featured on the front page of our newspaper. I couldn't find a credit anywhere so I hope I'm not doing the wrong thing by posting. It shows the owner of the wildlife sanctuary with a surviving kangaroo.

I'm guessing to 'The Advertiser' photographer.

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  51.3 KB
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    We had a violent thunderstorm with heavy rain last night and this morning, resulting in 95% of the fire front being under control - still weeks of spot fires and cleaning up.

People are gradually being let back to their homes to see what remains. However power has to be restored before it's safe. Still no human lives but sadly a native animal sanctuary and a cat/dog boarding facility were destroyed as well as sheep and wildlife lost.

Over 100 firefighters suffered injuries but none serious. Where would we be without these courageous men and women?

An estimated 32,000 acres burnt in the seven days this fire was out of control. Still some hot spots and new fires from lightning strikes but the worst is over.

This is a cropped version of a photo that featured on the front page of our newspaper. I couldn't find a credit anywhere so I hope I'm not doing the wrong thing by posting. It shows the owner of the wildlife sanctuary with a surviving kangaroo.

I'm guessing to 'The Advertiser' photographer.

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  51.3 KB
    Forest fires are wretched and super destructive. Sorry you all have had to go through it. And yes, the firefighters are heroic. A brother of my friend was a spotter for fires. It was a lonely occupation which suited him just fine being that he was a bit of a hermit -- same consciousness as a lighthouse keeper I guess. He would spend seasons up in a lone tower with his jar of peanut butter and a set of binoculars and a radio looking out over the forests. He spoke of lightning being the most common cause of fires in the wild, and it wasn't just carelessness or arson on the part of humans. Oddly enough, and this is not to diminish the destructive aspect of fires, but we have certain strains of trees (sequoias? can't recall exactly) that only re-seed after a fire, that it's part of the ecology in those cases. Of course we're talking about trees that are centuries old as well so there's not a whole lot of need for them to have baby trees.
    But it speaks of the nature of fires from lightning being adapted to in one case.

That photo breaks my heart. I can read into the look on that kangaroo's face and body language the trauma of surviving that. I don't have much interaction with them (read: no familiarity whatsoever). And I don't know if they're human-like in their mannerisms when they've been around humans a lot. But that's a photo worth a Pulitzer Prize in the story it tells. The poor thing looks frazzled like some war photos I've seen of refugee camps.

Tragic about the animals. Well, glad you're safe, June.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream