ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: AR on 8" devices

AR on 8" devices

Hello all,
    I am using AR on an Asus Vivotab Note 8 at the moment. This is a 8 inch Windows8.1 tablet with wacom digitizer. I am sure, there are more AR users out there using similar devices. I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for discussing issues and sharing ideas.

So I'll start and you are welcome to join in, ok?

#1 palm rejection
    Permanent palm rejection works in AR 2.6, but not in AR4. So in case you were searching for some kind of option in AR4 to enable that stop it, it's not there. Why do I feel, that this is important on smaller devices? With 1280x800 pixels and the many tools AR provides I found no good way to avoid putting my palm on some tool controls.
    I now changed the way to draw to avoid that to make sure the pen tip will meet the canvas first. But if you like to have your hand resting on the paper or canvas… use AR 2.6 and have fun or find a manual way to avoid your palm hitting the screen.

#2 work table size
    I like the reduced UI of the work table. But the controls are rather small. Is there a way to increase the control size of the work table?
    This is what I do at the moment: I set Windows UI to 150%. This has some other drawbacks, but Ui is easy to use now.

#3 brush cleaner when working with work table
    How do I use the brush cleaner in work table mode? There is no water glass etc.

Quote Originally Posted by thkn777 View Post
    Hello all,
    I am using AR on an Asus Vivotab Note 8 at the moment. This is a 8 inch Windows8.1 tablet with wacom digitizer. I am sure, there are more AR users out there using similar devices. I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for discussing issues and sharing ideas.

So I'll start and you are welcome to join in, ok?

#1 palm rejection
    Permanent palm rejection works in AR 2.6, but not in AR4. So in case you were searching for some kind of option in AR4 to enable that stop it, it's not there. Why do I feel, that this is important on smaller devices? With 1280x800 pixels and the many tools AR provides I found no good way to avoid putting my palm on some tool controls.
    I now changed the way to draw to avoid that to make sure the pen tip will meet the canvas first. But if you like to have your hand resting on the paper or canvas… use AR 2.6 and have fun or find a manual way to avoid your palm hitting the screen.

#2 work table size
    I like the reduced UI of the work table. But the controls are rather small. Is there a way to increase the control size of the work table?
    This is what I do at the moment: I set Windows UI to 150%. This has some other drawbacks, but Ui is easy to use now.

#3 brush cleaner when working with work table
    How do I use the brush cleaner in work table mode? There is no water glass etc.

I don't have a tablet to hand right now, so I can't give you a definitive answer on how well these will work, but I can offer a couple of suggestions.

1/ For the benefit of anyone else reading, there's an official discussion about the multitouch here: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...f-doesn-t-work

2/ Go to Edit > ArtRage Preferences > Panels to increase the size of the panels.

3/ Can you use short cuts? There's a 'Clean Brush' shortcut available under Edit > Set Keyboard Commands > General Commands. This is the same thing as the water glass (*see here for more about the keyboard commands). You can set it to any available button or mouse click.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thanks for the advices!

Panel size does not effect the workbench size, so that's not an option for me. And shortcuts... well - try to get your hands on a tablet and work in ArtRage only with the onscreen keyboard under Win8.1. You will see, what I mean - it's a pain.

Idea: is there a way to define my own buttons/quickbars etc? You know, like dragging a 'clean brush' button on the workbench. And the next custom button I'd make is 'undo' for the workbench.

Also, since I often use just 2-3 tool settings, a custom tool selector would be cool. Example: I just want to use charcoal. 3 different sizes and tool settings. Get rid of the tool chooser or to be more exact, make it just show my charcoals. Different visuals for different settings would be a bonus.