ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: New discovery work by Vincent van Gogh after Frans Hals (Thread moved here)

New discovery work by Vincent van Gogh after Frans Hals (Thread moved here)

Please visit this site 'vangoghmasterpiece' to see the details

http://www.vangoghmasterpiece.com/

Yeah, very interesting. That's a great website for anyone interested in Van Gogh, by the way. Super detail. Thanks.

I moved this thread out of the gallery section owing to this being a more appropriate place for this kind of topic.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Fantastic! I must confess that I'm a little leery of this being the real deal. It 'feels' a little different and less swirly and clean -- lacking some of the vision I've seen in many of his paintings. But I don't know his whole catalog and they no doubt do. But I need to watch the whole thing to hear their case. I think he's probably one of the easier artists to knock off technically and the materials are available still.

(I think of the novel "The Word" which was about a forgery of one of the books of the Bible that someone just found that set Religion on its ear (probably inspired by finding the Coptic scrolls of the Bible at Nag Hamadi etc which was happening at the time of the writing of the novel -- I think) -- and all the controversy it stirred. In the novel, the forger was clever in that he found blank parchment or linen or whatever he used and found inks of that time and was a clever copyist. So that being in my head, I think, sure, his materials surely are still around. But that's my Devil's Advocate talking. But just because we could think of how it could be faked, doesn't mean that's what happened. I'm still going based on a 'feel'. And it feels slightly different in the overriding vision.

I would love to believe it. But like artists everywhere, he had good days and bad days, and for me this one was not one of his most iconic. But it's very fascinating. (I'm not great with subtitles on the computer.)

This is an awesome find. Thanks Hildee.
    Last edited by D Akey; 12-28-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Interesting D Akey that you feel this painting is not one of his better works. In a letter to Theo, in a portion of the video that perhaps you haven't seen yet, he describes this painting as a "failure". I believe I am remembering that correctly...Anyway, I am always intrigued by your keen eye and knowledgeable comments. You bring a lot to this forum.

Very kind to say that.

So the guy in the film said: "Looking at it objectively, we see Van Gogh at his best. . ."

Uummm. . . that sounds like a little like he's having to be careful to not lower the market value.

I wondered that a Norwegian industrialist in whose attic the painting rested for 100 years would even have it at all because Vincent was a nobody and this "nobody" didn't even sign the painting. What was his art acquisitioner thinking? But I was mistaken about Van Gogh's anonymity apparently.

Having looked up when Van Gogh was getting known, apparently it happened more or less immediately after his death. So there was a buzz about him. . . ironically. Can you imagine how this made Theo, the art dealer, feel since he couldn't sell his brother's work while he was alive and pretty impoverished with the sale of merely one painting in his lifetime?

Well, here's more about the painting and about Van Gogh's reputation after his death.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ch-master.html

http://www.artble.com/artists/vincen...ical_reception

But the jury's still out for me, even though it might well be one of his 'failures'.
    Last edited by D Akey; 12-28-2014 at 09:34 PM.