ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Improv Monitor Hood

Lightbulb Improv Monitor Hood

Necessity is the mother of invention, right?

Improvised monitor hood.

Parts: Old laptop box
    Packing tape
    Can of flat black spray paint
    A rubber band

Cons: It's ugly
    It still kinda smells like spray paint

Pros: It works
    I didn't spend $89.95

Thought I'd post and give you all a laugh . . . heh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monitor Hood Left.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	329.0 KB 
ID:	84830  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm an artist. I draw flies . . .

A very tidy desk!
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Very good idea! Nifty! Clever painting it black too, less distraction and reflection.

So you swapped your turtle neck for a hoodie. Nice and casual.

So do you find it matters for you having hood? If the room is really bright I suppose it might. But I never went to those extremes having a dark room and professional color calibration and all that. It seemed that my Macs were pretty good right out of the box.

Where I do see a need, I just bought myself a Christmas present of my first Cintiq, and while it's awesome in the process of applying paint and all that, The colors are considerably different from my iMac monitor. Was a bit of a shock. So either I have to keep both monitors showing the same thing so I can look over at what it really looks like, or I'll somehow have to calibrate it for color. . . if possible. I've read where people have complained about it somewhat, so it may never get perfect. But I suppose once I get used to it, it will sort itself out. Both values and chroma are off.

Anyway, let us know how this hood rig works for you. Clever idea, and certainly affordable. I think the smell should go away as the paint dries completely?

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to you Mike! Get that graphic novel cooking! Looks like you're on your way with illustration design.
    Last edited by D Akey; 12-24-2014 at 12:10 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks guys.

To D Akey. I've found it does help in my case . I'm using a low end laptop and the screen is incredibly glossy. (Doing artwork on a tight budget :-) ) Any light bounces all over it. Surprisingly though, the color calibration is very good. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm hoping to move to a mac or even a cintiq one of these days. I'm working on setting up an online shop for selling my stuff. We'll have to see how it goes. :-)
    I'm an artist. I draw flies . . .