ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Help with painting trees in oils.

Help with painting trees in oils.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misty valley1.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	84819

The clouds, sky and mountains were basically just painted with the oil brush. But I really need some textured strokes to paint my foliage and foreground. But whenever I use sticker sprays I feel like they look fuzzy and out of focus when juxtaposed against oil brush work. Some people will use large stroke with varied values, Ala traditional oil painting, but that's a more impressionistic/impasto look than I'm going for.

I'm looking for any advice on how to get textured strokes to make foliage. I have tried dozens of different sticker sprays, and I've even made my own brushes. I've also tried using the oil brush with light loading, and just tapping the canvas, which does get you some texture, but I've struggled to really make that work.

The image above is a finished example of this problem. The one below is my work in progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teal sunset peaks.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	84817  
    Last edited by joshrose; 12-22-2014 at 08:21 AM.

June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks for recommending those. I have played with them a bit, and they seem really good!