ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Open/Save non-native files

Open/Save non-native files

Long time ago in a galaxy far away Artrage could open and directly save non-native files like png/jpg/psd. I really wish this could be possible with the latest version. All it would need is a dialog 'You are saving in a non-native format, some information may not be saved' as Clip studio/Paint Tool Sai and others already have.

Nowadays its really convoluted to quickly edit an PSD or PNG for example and save it out again. And some workflows I used in 1.x aren't even possible (having Artrage registered as a images editor in other apps).

Pretty please, consider bringing back the feature.

You can still export images the way you could in all previous versions of ArtRage - we implemented Export for image formats rather than Save in order to prevent confusion over file formats and data loss. Import works on non PTG formats as it used to in previous versions as well. If you're seeing something specific that has changed could you let us know what it is and we can take a look at it - We haven't removed any features that we implemented to allow this so I'm not sure what is happening.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    You can still export images the way you could in all previous versions of ArtRage - we implemented Export for image formats rather than Save in order to prevent confusion over file formats and data loss. Import works on non PTG formats as it used to in previous versions as well. If you're seeing something specific that has changed could you let us know what it is and we can take a look at it - We haven't removed any features that we implemented to allow this so I'm not sure what is happening.
    Its more a matter of convenience for example:

Artrage 1.x:
    1. Setup Blender to use Artrage as External editor
    2. Click edit Externally - Artrage starts up and opens PNG/PSD
    3. Make the edit
    4. Save
    Done

Artrage 4.5:
    2. Click edit Externally - Artrage starts up and opens PNG/PSD (not the first time though)
    3. A dialog pops up with the import to layer/new image/trace/ref -> Choose new
    4. Make the edit
    5. Save doesn't work (untitled.ptg) so Export
    6. Change to original format if you remember what it was
    7. Have to know where the original file was and navigate to it to overwrite
    Done

I have 10s of such images and 100of launching of edits from Blender to do. Its really a workflow killer for me. Especially having to find original image on disk every time.

Proposition 4.5.3:
    2. Click edit Externally - Artrage starts up and opens PNG/PSD
    3. A dialog pops up with the import to layer/new image/edit as original/trace/ref -> Choose original
    4. Make the edit
    5. Save -> dialog pops up with (Save as PNG/PSD? Some data won't be saved!)
    Done