ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Pretty please allow us to upload in the Forum images larger than 500Kb

Pretty please allow us to upload in the Forum images larger than 500Kb

Pretty please allow us to upload in the Forum images larger than 500Kb, 1MB should be enough, 500kb is not enough to display pictures without horrible artifacts due to heavy compression
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/andreamgart

That's what art's about, isn't it -- at some point it's about the relationship between the art and the viewer, sort of like speed dating. (D Akey)

That's strange, Andrea, because I can get an 800x pixel image down to say 100kb (could've got the one below down even further) and they look fine for online viewing. Maybe it's your settings in the save option?

Resolution only needs to be 72ppi for online. Higher res only makes for a big upload if it's only for showing, not downloading.

Name:  cat©hildeeOnArtRageForum171114.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  90.9 KB

Thank you Hildee, the impact of compression vastly varies from sample to sample, the one you posted is a soft gradient image so it might be easier to compress than highly contrasted pictures with a lot of lines and colors like artrage paintings (mine in particular ), the problem gets worst when you try to downsize to 500kb images that are let's say 1900 x 1200 pixels. Try to pick an high contrasted and very detailed image, import it in GIMP, save it in Jpeg, open the advanced options tab with the preview image that shows the impact of compression and see for yourself . Cheers

That's what art's about, isn't it -- at some point it's about the relationship between the art and the viewer, sort of like speed dating. (D Akey)

I regularly take 3000x4000 @ 300 ppi, import them into Gimp and reduce them down then export as jpg. The trick, for me is to set the quality to 100% (0 compression) and never have a problem.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Hi Andrea, I realised later I should've shown one of my artrage paintings instead but I haven't had any trouble with this here over the years, they've always looked fine, no artifacts

JPEG mini

I can recommend a tool called JPEGmini for near losless compression. I always use it for online pictures. The trick is to save an image with no compression from ArtRage. Next to drop it into JPEGmini. The file size will be dramaticly reduced when output. It is also possible to batch compress a folder or a bunch of files with this nice little program.

Another great tool for PNG files is Tiny Png. As you wrote on the matter of more flat colours and line art with visible artifacts, I use this tool instead of JPEGmini. You get absolutly no artifacts using Tiny Png. With the highest compression rate. The star on the left is a compressed PNG, 20 kb. The original, to the right, is uncompressed, 80 kb. Hard to tell any difference, huh?

These tools save you a lot of filesize and also a lot of space on your hard drive. Check them out! You won' t get disapointed.
    Name:  make things right compressed.png
Views: 56
Size:  19.9 KB Name:  make things right.png
Views: 59
Size:  79.4 KB
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 11-19-2014 at 09:27 PM.

JPEG Mini is really useful.

Thank you so much guys for the inputs, I will give them a try