ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Drop Cap N (Sticker shape making explained) 11/12/14

Drop Cap N (Sticker shape making explained) 11/12/14

I happened to stop by the Talk Graphics forum today and saw they have an on going Drop Cap challenge every month. This month is "N". In honor of Veterans Day in the US, I did a red white and blue design for mine.

I used one of my stickers to make the "N" and I used one of the tiles that I made with the symmetry tool. I did the whole thing with ArtRage.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aunt_Betsy; 11-12-2014 at 11:43 PM.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:
    Aunt Betsy's Celebration Art

Stunning graphics! I wonder how You got that kind of fantastic sticker and tile!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Stunning graphics! I wonder how You got that kind of fantastic sticker and tile!
    Thank you so much Caesar!

The tile I did with the symmetry tool set at 8 segments to create a seamless tile. I used the Ink pen set with lots of smoothing. Once I had a tile with just the curls in it, I filled a large document (12X12") at a 45 degree angle giving me a diamond pattern. I fill a background layer with red and used the fill tool to fill in alternate rows of tile blocks with blue. I also filled in a few closed shapes inside the tile with blue. I then cropped out a block with the selection tool going from centers of four blue tiles that surrounded the red tile. This is the tile that I used. To get the diamond pattern with this new tile I have to fill with straight horizontal or vertical. The alternate color fill worked because my original tile block was completely closed, making it possible to fill individual tiles. I used the Grid and the "Snap to Grid" function to create the precise patterns and selections.

The sticker I used, I created as a vector graphic in CorelDraw. I create a simple shape and then use the contour tool to give it dimension. To do the different colors, I create the same shape for each color and align them on top of each other. I then use different shapes to intersect with each shape leaving just the amount I want of each color. Because it is a vector and contoured, the sticker is very crisp and vibrant.

You would be surprised by how some of the oddest shapes make great stickers! I have literally made thousands of stickers in different shapes and colors trying to find what works and what doesn't work as a sticker. The sticker that I used here is one of my favorites.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curls 30097 color.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	84176  
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:

Thank You for such a clear explanation on Your procedure, dear Betsy! I don't have Corel Draw, but I guess something good may be done also with Artrage only features. I once got a floreal repeated motive on a square tile by using exagonal simmetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Thank You for such a clear explanation on Your procedure, dear Betsy! I don't have Corel Draw, but I guess something good may be done also with Artrage only features. I once got a floreal repeated motive on a square tile by using exagonal simmetry.
    Your welcome Caesar.

I've made lots of 3D looking stickers with just ArtRage. The glitter tool and the paint tube are both capable of creating a 3D look. Here is where I first explained how to make a shiny object. And this is where I explained how I made the sticker with the Gloop pen.

Lots of my sticker I make with the Ink Pen with the Symmetry tool. After I make the shape I use the "Select Layer Content" from the Edit menu. Make sure that through this whole process you keep the layer content selection in place. It work better than a stencil or lock transparency for a layer. On a new layer I fell in the selected area with either the glitter tool set to grit or the paint tube set to 100% metallic and pure red. This all works best if the painting size is not too big. I then use the palette knife set to blur with setting on both pressure and softness about half way. The blurring works best with a mouse rather than a tablet. The consistent pressure with the mouse makes for a smother shiny surface. I now go over the blurred object with either the air brush or the ink pen. You should now have a shiny object in red. If you want to add more colors, add a new layer and just go over the areas that you want to change color with the ink pen set to that color. If you keep it on a separate layer you can use the adjust layer color from the edit menu to change it to what ever color you want.

One tip about metallic color, if you want white instead of silver you have to use about 50% metallic.

Once you have what you want just crop to selection and export from the file menu. After I do this I add and change the colors to get a verity of stickers from the same shape. Some time I will add in a few shapes to see how that works.

What you can do with ArtRage is really only limited by your wiliness to explore the possibilities.

All the stickers below were made entirely in ArtRage. The first one is the French Curve B stencil.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:

Thank You once more, dear Betsy!