ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep in landscape - Addition 8/11

Sheep in landscape - Addition 8/11

A few more sheep.

Name:  sheep-landscape.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  53.2 KB
    Last edited by Enug; 11-08-2014 at 07:47 PM.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Marvellous bucolic painting. Arcadia is back! Would it be defined a sheepyard? LOL Just a very stupid pun ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

You are developing a really nice style there June! Just lovely.

this is a well done piece,love it.....

Hi June iF There Fourteen Sheep Hanging on the Wall !! and one was to Accidently Fall ???

I'd Have the BBQ ready And a fresh Mint Sauce which I made this Morning just in case 1 did

accidently Fall ??? ok CIAO KIA ORA POZDRAWSKI ;)

Thanks everyone - I appreciate your comments. Some tongue in cheek as usual from Caesar and Mr.Ploos.

I used a sticker spray for the sky - a 'Fake watercolour Brush 1' - generously shared in a set named 'Tones Presets'. A very clever brush.
    Last edited by Enug; 11-07-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Nice and savory is what Mr Ploos is looking to say about this lip smacker, Ms Enug. I would herd closer that one who is separated from the group because Mr Ploos is opening his lunch bucket and pulling out the mint jelly. It's the stragglers what they go for in Brighton, innit? (meaning that sheep is too close to the edge and is pulling the eye out of your picture a bit.)

There's a lot of nice stuff in this one. Don't know what they fed you on in Singapore, but it changed your style some, dinnit?

I like the stipple daubed sponge look, mostly in the sky and grass. As to the trees and brush, I would perhaps suggest that there is something of a sameness to the size, if not intensity of the brush. I mean in the clouds it's different from all else which is good. But the size of the cumulus cloud articulated shapes is similar in scale (speaking 2 dimensional here) to the other bits.

In design and composition and paint application, one wants often to vary things. It generally is stronger having shapes bigger and smaller and darker and lighter, foreground, middle ground, background in some way other than it just being placed sensibly. I mean there is definite logic to what you've done here and I can see this being a real setting on a hilltop meadow or something. But you could do things, take artistic license and make it dynamic.

This is not a landscape portrait so nobody is going to know or care what the source location was. It's also a way to get away from looking too much like someone else's (or even your own) photograph. Artists are not slaves to what is there, except in portraits. And even then it's good to make it better.

So is this a cool image, sure. You're hitting on some really good things. I think you want to start considering variety within your pics. The colors are nice here. I love the theme. It says everything. Now think like an actor and figure out how to deliver your lines -- where to put your emphasis, what is the story about, what are you saying so that the audience really gets it in the most interesting way you can say it.

Good work! There's a whole lot of good stuff in here on a lot of levels technique-wise. But I'll hold off until you do some more pics and use it in context. That will tell you whether it looks right for the bit it shows up in.

Glad to have you back! I love your enthusiasm to take your stuff to the heights.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Dear DA, thanks so much for all that. I understand what you are saying and I will take note. Not having any artistic training - even at school I don't remember the nuns teaching us art, so I've never known or considered the points you make.

I must admit I'm impatient to get a piece finished and I knew I should have spent more time on the trees and bushes but I was happy with the sheep, sky and foreground that I thought - well it's good enuf! You quite rightly point out that it isn't.

I'll try another and give it more thought and not rush it.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

lovely one and well painted, Enug